Obama's "Stop Bernie" Campaign

Sep 2019
Idaho
You wrote:

“No that's apparently your claim. All i said was these convictions you talked of were process crimes that never would have occurred if not for the Mueller witch hunt.”

So we were talking about convictions. If trump is guilty of what you call process crimes, what should be his consequences?
You wrote:

"Don’t you think trump should at least spend as much time in the joint as Martha?"

My response was to that. Has Trump been convicted of anything? Did I miss something?

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Not all schools are like that. My HS, where I teach seems to give raises on degree attainment. I am at the top of the tier and have not received a raise in over 7 years.
So your total salary is literally no different than seven years ago, i.e. the number of dollars you earned 7 years ago is the number of dollars you earn now?

The reason I ask is I hear and see this complaint a lot when labor disputes are going on. The employees very often say "we haven't had a raise in ___ years," but in fact they're not counting numerous other increases in pay, because they just call it something other than "a raise."

"No, that's not a raise, it's a cost of living adjustment."
"No that's not a raise either, it's a merit/longevity increase."
"No that's not a raise either, it's some other negotiated pay adjustment that we don't call a raise."

That way whenever they feel it's an opportune time to start whining publicly, they can always say "we haven't had a raise in ___ years."

We also have a no-strike clause in our contracts. Admin and the Union felt it would be disruptive to the parents and district HS's with whom we share the day with.
Strikes can be pretty disruptive and destructive to both sides. It's a sort of mutual sabotage. Or at least, it's easy to conceive of why neither side feels better off in the grand scheme of things with the "right to strike."

Last edited:

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Which means what? Being a normal president instead of having chaos every single frinking day as we see now? Including a complete disregard for the rules of law and massive corruption?
He tried to do a recess appointment while the Senate was in session.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
So your total salary is literally no different than seven years ago, i.e. the number of dollars you earned 7 years ago is the number of dollars you earn now?

The reason I ask is I hear and see this complaint a lot when labor disputes are going on. The employees very often say "we haven't had a raise in ___ years," but in fact they're not counting numerous other increases in pay, because they just call it something other than "a raise."

"No, that's not a raise, it's a cost of living adjustment."
"No that's not a raise either, it's a merit/longevity increase."
"No that's not a raise either, it's some other negotiated pay adjustment that we don't call a raise."

That way whenever they feel it's an opportune time to start whining publicly, they can always say "we haven't had a raise in ___ years."

Strikes can be pretty disruptive and destructive to both sides. It's a sort of mutual sabotage. Or at least, it's easy to conceive of why neither side feels better off in the grand scheme of things with the "right to strike."
I had a MSN when I was hired, so the school hired me close to the top of the tier. The school wanted me to obtain a credential to lead a State licensed program...Train the Trainer and I was given a raise that took me to the top of the tier at that time shortly after I was hired. I was told that was it as far as raises at that time unless I earned my PhD...which I have no interest in doing at my age. We are eligible for small cost of living increases but for several years we voted them out to keep our health insurance the same as far as rising deductibles and premiums. It was a compromise. I wasn't complaining, I am happy with my compensation and if I want more cheese in the bank, I just work a few extra shifts at the hospital or pick up more adjunct classes at the college level. I have never been one to put all of my eggs into one basket as far as compensation. I have worked extra gigs my whole career.

Nov 2014
North Carolina
"From lofty heights, Obama has now become a dampener of hope, a barrier to change, and a threat to progress."

Former President Barack Obama reportedly told advisers behind closed doors earlier this year that he would actively oppose Sen. Bernie Sanders if the progressive senator from Vermont opened up a big lead in the 2020 Democratic presidential primary race.

"Publicly, [Obama] has been clear that he won't intervene in the primary for or against a candidate," Politico reported Tuesday. "There is one potential exception: Back when Sanders seemed like more of a threat than he does now, Obama said privately that if Bernie were running away with the nomination, Obama would speak up to stop him."

"Obama's post-presidency is grating and full of contradictions. He considers himself a success but the mere fact of Trump's presidency belies this. He won on hope and counsels hopelessness."
—David Klion, Jewish Currents

Progressives viewed Obama's comments as further evidence that the former president, who was elected in 2008 on the soaring promise of "hope and change," is now using his influence on the Democratic Party to undercut the grassroots push for transformational policies like Medicare for All and the Green New Deal.

*Skip*"

Whose interests is Obama trying to serve?

Certainly not those of the 99%.
Not surprising. Obama and the rest of his corporate democrats have been playing the liberals in the democratic party as fools for decades (maybe even longer).

It's going to take a populist revolution inside the Democratic party to get a national healthcare system in place, just as it took one in the Republican party (Trump) to get China tariffs in place. Left to their own devices, the political establishment (both of them) will always side with their big corporate donors. The people have to rise up and assert themselves through an outsider unwed to the establishment (like Sanders).

I'm not hopeful this will happen though. Too many Democrats are brainwashed morons lead around like useful idiots by the corporate media. So as much as I wish they would nominate someone like a Sanders and thus give this country an actual chance for a real national healthcare service (something this country desperately needs) I see no evidence that a majority of Democrats are wising up.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
I had a MSN when I was hired, so the school hired me close to the top of the tier. The school wanted me to obtain a credential to lead a State licensed program...Train the Trainer and I was given a raise that took me to the top of the tier at that time shortly after I was hired. I was told that was it as far as raises at that time unless I earned my PhD...which I have no interest in doing at my age. We are eligible for small cost of living increases but for several years we voted them out to keep our health insurance the same as far as rising deductibles and premiums. It was a compromise. I wasn't complaining, I am happy with my compensation and if I want more cheese in the bank, I just work a few extra shifts at the hospital or pick up more adjunct classes at the college level. I have never been one to put all of my eggs into one basket as far as compensation. I have worked extra gigs my whole career.
Wasn’t trying to single you out per se, just have learned not to automatically believe comments from union members that “we haven’t had a raise in ___ years.” It’s often a misleading statement.

Reactions: HCProf

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Except no respected economist agrees with your POV.
It isn't a point of view, it is a mathematical fact Madeline. The second derivative of the economy turned from negative to positive in Q4 2008, which means the economy stopped getting worse and started getting better.

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
oh how silly of me not to realize that obama did nothing and it just turned around. Tell those economists that they are wrong because they say that the recovery began in June 2009. And I guess they’re all wrong when they pointed out that 700,000 jobs were being lost each month when Obama took office and he turned it around and jobs were created every month for years. It just kills you to give him any credit What a coincidence that the stock market nearly tripled under Obama.
economic recovery from the 2008 financial crisis and recession began in June 2009. Real GDP, which had contracted by 5.4% in the first quarter of 2009 and 0.5% in the second quarter, began growing again in the third quarter of 2009.Sep 5, 2019
The economy bottomed out in Q4 2008 when it shrunk by 8.4%, it started getting better after that and growth turned positive in June 2009, all Obama had to do was stay out of the way and the economy would have came roaring back, he refused and his policies tamped down recovery.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
The economy bottomed out in Q4 2008 when it shrunk by 8.4%, it started getting better after that and growth turned positive in June 2009, all Obama had to do was stay out of the way and the economy would have came roaring back, he refused and his policies tamped down recovery.
This theory of yours cannot be proven. Personally, I think Obama's handling of the economy was his greatest accomplishment as president.

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
Bernie, another old white guy? hahaha, they already stole the nomination once from the poor guy, what makes you all think they would allow him this time?

Reactions: Madeline