Off duty police officer shoots and kills mentally disabled man in Costco

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
This happened over the weekend, but more details are coming out..

A man who was shot and killed by an off-duty LAPD officer inside a Costco in Corona on Friday night was “non-verbal,” a family member told CBS Los Angeles.

Corona police say 32-year-old Kenneth French from Riverside allegedly assaulted the unidentified officer inside the store on Friday night. French’s mother, Paula, and father, Russell, were also shot and critically wounded.

Both remained in critical condition at Riverside Community Hospital on Sunday but French’s cousin — Rick Shureih — told CBS2/KCAL9’s Greg Mills his uncle was “doing better” (he had a breathing tube removed) but his aunt “is still not out of the woods.” In a post on Facebook, Shureih posted a photo of his family asking, “Do they look intimidating to you? … Did he really have to shoot them all?”

Investigators say the alleged attack against the officer — who was holding his young child at the time — was unprovoked.

Shureih says it all had to be a horrible misunderstanding. He says his cousin was “never violent.” He said Kenneth had “mental issues” but nothing that ever made him violent. He told Mills that Kenneth was a big guy and because of his issues he had a blank look on his face.

Corona police say they’re working with the Riverside County District Attorney’s office to determine the facts of the case. An LAPD use-of-force team is conducting its own investigation.

Man Fatally Shot Inside Corona Costco Was 'Non-Verbal, Never Violent' Family Member Says

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
I have a couple of competing thoughts on this... since the police officer was holding his own young child, I can see his parental instinct to protect impacting his choices. At the same time for him to shoot a family, the father, mother, and grown child... feels way overboard.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I have a couple of competing thoughts on this... since the police officer was holding his own young child, I can see his parental instinct to protect impacting his choices. At the same time for him to shoot a family, the father, mother, and grown child... feels way overboard.
I have to wonder if the disabled man didnt touch the child? I know once when I was out in public, a mentally disabled person came over and began to pat me on the head (I am very small). I understood he had issues and didnt make a big deal out of it, but clearly the person either thought I was a child or overwhelmed that I was so short. But yes definitely an overreaction to shoot all three of them.

May 2012
By the wall
I have to wonder if the disabled man didnt touch the child? I know once when I was out in public, a mentally disabled person came over and began to pat me on the head (I am very small). I understood he had issues and didnt make a big deal out of it, but clearly the person either thought I was a child or overwhelmed that I was so short. But yes definitely an overreaction to shoot all three of them.
You can't know that until you know all the details.

If they all attacked him then he was justified unless you think he went into Costco just looking for a family to shoot up.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
You can't know that until you know all the details.

If they all attacked him then he was justified unless you think he went into Costco just looking for a family to shoot up.
That's funny that you think that idea is ridiculous but you're totally ok with the possibility that a mother, father AND adult son went to costco that day and all three attacked someone holding a child.

Why the living fuck would an off duty cop be armed?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
That's funny that you think that idea is ridiculous but you're totally ok with the possibility that a mother, father AND adult son went to costco that day and all three attacked someone holding a child.

Why the living fuck would an off duty cop be armed?
Many police in the US are required to be armed while off duty. Our local ones are.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Many police in the US are required to be armed while off duty. Our local ones are.
That seems to me a very good way to make sure that three people get shot in a Costco.

Like.... If I wanted stuff like that to happen, that's how I'd go about making it inevitable.

Do firemen carry their axes to Ikea?

I'd hate to think what coroners have on them.

(Sorry - I'm pretty sure you don't make these decisions. Preaching to the choir).

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
That seems to me a very good way to make sure that three people get shot in a Costco.

Like.... If I wanted stuff like that to happen, that's how I'd go about making it inevitable.

Do firemen carry their axes to Ikea?

I'd hate to think what coroners have on them.

(Sorry - I'm pretty sure you don't make these decisions. Preaching to the choir).
Most law enforcement, local, state and federal are to be armed at all times. Even retired. It was part of an act that passed years ago. Some states dont make it mandatory but others do. Its in case they jailed someone and they send someone after the officer or their family. When I was a kid the police used to call it "safety from the mob" since they often sent someone to take out a cop or their kid if they arrested them.

Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act - Wikipedia

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Most law enforcement, local, state and federal are to be armed at all times. Even retired. It was part of an act that passed years ago. Some states dont make it mandatory but others do. Its in case they jailed someone and they send someone after the officer or their family. When I was a kid the police used to call it "safety from the mob" since they often sent someone to take out a cop or their kid if they arrested them.

Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act - Wikipedia
Huh. Learn something new every day.

Remind me to vacation at home.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Huh. Learn something new every day.

Remind me to vacation at home.
I live next door to a local officer and he is always carrying. We found that out at a holiday party years ago when he pulled out his weapon and handed it to his wife when he had too much to drink..We always joke when he is out mowing the lawn "where does he keep it?" :oops: