Off Sides??? Please Help!

Feb 2015
sadness
I watched the Us vs England women's soccer match today. And...i am so confused.

What was the off sides move that got England's goal reversed??????

I am not a sports fan...so really know nothing about the language or rules of this sport.

If anyone can help me understand this i would greataly appriciate it. Thanks!

Nov 2015
UK
It's where the player doesn't have an opponent between them and the goalkeeper when the ball is played through. It means they're in an offside position. If they're away from the action, turn and run the opposite way (they're not interfering with play) the linesman would probably not flag offside.

Jan 2014
California

I am not a sports fan...so really know nothing about the language or rules of this sport.

Ms. syrenn,

After you cross the center line, the ball has to lead you to the goal. If a player controls the ball, he or she has to keep it in front of them in line to the goal. They cannot pass the ball to another player that has run ahead of the defenders.

for example, if an opposing player hangs out near the goal, with no defenders (except the goal keeper) between them and the goal, if you pass it to them, it is off sides.

Jan 2014
California

Ms. syrenn,

Slartibartfast gave a more precise and understandable answer and bull provided visuals. they deserve the thanks you gave me.