Official 2011 MLB thread (second half)

Oct 2010
USA
Well, the All Star game has come and gone. Some of the surprises from the 1st half were the Cleveland Indians getting off to a great start, Albert Pujols getting hurt and Justin Verlander throwing a no-hitter. It's been a great season to this point, any predictions for the 2nd half?

I think the Indians will fall out of it, and I think the Twins will make a late playoff push. Jose Bautista seems legit, so I'm thinking he'll top 50 home runs yet again. My Cubs are doomed, but we knew that after April. It's too early to make award predictions, but the Cubs have a rookie of the year contender in Darwin Barney (epic name lol)

So come on fellow baseball followers, belly up and tell us what's going to happen, or what you hope will happen, between now and the end of the World Series

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
Boston wins out the rest of the season using only the walk-off dinger.

Oct 2010
USA
Boston wins out the rest of the season using only the walk-off dinger.
LOL, that's likely to happen. Screw Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzales was the best acquisition made last offseason. I would not be surprised if the Sox didn't get Heath Bell from the Padres, he's going to be traded and you know he's going to end up with one of the top contenders

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
LOL, that's likely to happen. Screw Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzales was the best acquisition made last offseason.
You won't hear anyone from these parts disagreeing with that. Many see the Crawford signing as pressure from the ownership, it's not the typical contract Theo Epstien offers. Also with Crawford on the DL and Gonzales leading the AL (or is it the majors?) in ba it's a slam dunk for "pick your favorite". The Sox are getting hammered in the rotation right now, but Theo's proven his mantra to be "better to have and not need.." when it comes to starting pitchers. I think the 2nd half is going to have the Sox run away with the East and leave NY fighting it out for the wildcard with either Texas or LA, but like any true Sox fan, I honestly have no idea what's going on outside my world.

NiteGuy

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Teardrop City
My daughter and I went to the Cubs games on Saturday and Sunday this week.

Thank God they swept the series against the Astros. It really would have been embarassing to have lost against the worst team in the MLB. And as an added bonus, we won three in a row, which means we won't be just the fifth team in MLB history to have gone an entire season without winning three straight games.

On the other hand, Carlos Marmol is giving me heartburn - or maybe it's a heart attack, I'm not sure which. We gotta get us a decent closer, and lose some of the expensive dead weight, like Ramirez and Soriano.