Ohio school closed after enriched uranium is found inside

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
An Ohio school has been forced to close for the remainder of the academic year after enriched uranium was discovered inside. Neptunium 237—a byproduct of nuclear reaction and plutonium production—was also detected inside Zahn's Corner Middle School in the town of Piketon, about 80 miles east of Cincinnati, WLWT reported.

Both substances are radioactive, and extended exposure to them can cause cancer. The middle school serves about 320 students, and officials have been working to determine the source of the contamination and establish its extent. They have not ruled out a longer school closure.

The state department of education said that the affected students had already fulfilled their necessary classroom hours for the year, so would not need to make up the missed days once the uranium issue had been addressed.

The source of the enriched uranium remains unclear. According to WLWT, some local residents suggested that the nearby Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant—located 2 miles from the school—might be responsible. The facility previously produced enriched uranium, including weapons-grade uranium, for the United States Atomic Energy program and for use in U.S. nuclear weapons. Uranium enrichment at the site ended in 2001.

Ohio school closed after enriched uranium discovered inside

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
An Ohio school has been forced to close for the remainder of the academic year after enriched uranium was discovered inside. Neptunium 237—a byproduct of nuclear reaction and plutonium production—was also detected inside Zahn's Corner Middle School in the town of Piketon, about 80 miles east of Cincinnati, WLWT reported.

Both substances are radioactive, and extended exposure to them can cause cancer. The middle school serves about 320 students, and officials have been working to determine the source of the contamination and establish its extent. They have not ruled out a longer school closure.

The state department of education said that the affected students had already fulfilled their necessary classroom hours for the year, so would not need to make up the missed days once the uranium issue had been addressed.

The source of the enriched uranium remains unclear. According to WLWT, some local residents suggested that the nearby Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant—located 2 miles from the school—might be responsible. The facility previously produced enriched uranium, including weapons-grade uranium, for the United States Atomic Energy program and for use in U.S. nuclear weapons. Uranium enrichment at the site ended in 2001.

Ohio school closed after enriched uranium discovered inside
Piketon is the same place the 8 family members were killed. Never solved by Mike DeWine. I think they arrested a couple a year ago.

And my Dad worked there.

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
Enriched Uranium isn't something you just create in a science experiment, it's extremely valuable and people who have access to it don't just leave it lying about.
When I was studying hazardous material transportation laws, we really only glossed over the nuclear waste (since it was viewed as a specialty), based on that little I'm aware, I would presume that even the act of leaving it somewhere means someone broke some laws.

In other words, I'm pretty sure you are putting that lightly.