Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
Ohio University has strict rules. Grandson’s class was told, caught drunk one time, you are out. Not sure how that works but they were warned. Lose your Scholarships, too.
When I was there, drinking was much more rampant because the age for "low beer" was 18 and it was easy to get liquor. You could drive to WVa or just find a bar that didn't care.

Frankly, I think they've gone too far in the other direction. The old student union bar, The Frontier Room, was amazing and had a great patio where you could quaff beer between classes and people watch.

That said, in my day, OU was not as big a Greek school as Miami or others. Frats and sororities were strong, but not dominant.

I hope they're not taking over, because the charm of Athens, Ohio is its lack of uniformity.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
The hazing does need to end. People have taken the ritual too far too often.
Plus it's stupid to begin with. What's the point of insisting on forcing people to tolerate abuse in order to join a club?

I get the idea of the camaraderie and pledging loyalty being subject to tests of character, but I think there are better ways to judge that than making them humiliate themselves or subject themselves to physical punishment. What does that prove?

It's like a gang initiation, but in that case it makes more sense because taking a beating is more likely to be a useful skill if you're involved in criminal activity.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
When I was there, drinking was much more rampant because the age for "low beer" was 18 and it was easy to get liquor. You could drive to WVa or just find a bar that didn't care.

Frankly, I think they've gone too far in the other direction. The old student union bar, The Frontier Room, was amazing and had a great patio where you could quaff beer between classes and people watch.

That said, in my day, OU was not as big a Greek school as Miami or others. Frats and sororities were strong, but not dominant.

I hope they're not taking over, because the charm of Athens, Ohio is its lack of uniformity.
They just want to make sure they have the best students. The hazing must have gotten out of hand.

There are still bars in Athens. One girl was attacked while walking home from work at a bar.

There were a lot of protests last year. Groups made sure no one walked alone. It is not all goody two shoes there.:)

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
Plus it's stupid to begin with. What's the point of insisting on forcing people to tolerate abuse in order to join a club?

I get the idea of the camaraderie and pledging loyalty being subject to tests of character, but I think there are better ways to judge that than making them humiliate themselves or subject themselves to physical punishment. What does that prove?

It's like a gang initiation, but in that case it makes more sense because taking a beating is more likely to be a useful skill if you're involved in criminal activity.

I went to rush parties there as a sophomore one fall, because you got free beer.

One frat had a trophy with a hog on it. They told us it was awarded when a member was caught having sex with a fat woman.

Great guys.

That's not just OU. That's any campus.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
  • Love
Reactions: the bull59