Oklahoma passes new anti-abortion bill

Czernobog

Former Staff
Dec 2011
Phoenix, AZ
According to http://www.reuters.com/article/us-oklahoma-abortion-idUSKCN0XJ29I, Oklahoma just passed the first blanket ban on abortion since Roe v Wade.

The bill would "… revoke the license of any doctor who performs an abortion…"

The law hinges on it's definition of human life as beginning at conception, and granting personhood to fetuses. I think this might require a whole new court battle, as it renders the precedents set by Row v Wade as moot.

Progressives might want to remember this, as they consider letting a Republican - any Republican - win the Presidential election, just because your pet candidate didn't win. The next President will name, at least one, possibly as many as three justices to the Supreme Court. A court that will decide issues like this. What kind of justice do you think Trump, or, even worse, Cruz will name to the Court.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

Czernobog

Former Staff
Dec 2011
Phoenix, AZ
This will be kicked up the courts so fast...

Interesting in couple of other states that put "personhood" to an actual vote of the people living in those states, they failed..by large numbers..

Colorado And North Dakota Voters Reject Fetal Personhood Measures
Even "...so fast" means, at least a couple of years before it hits the floor of SCOTUS, rather making the selection of the next justice important. But, you know...Hillary is "too establishment", so let's just withhold our support, and let the likes of Trump, or Cruz choose the next justice. I mean who is President won't really have any appreciable effect on individuals live for just four years, right? They really can't do any lasting damage, right?

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk.

Reactions: 1 person
Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
The SCOTUS will issue a stay just like they did on the TX abortion law and one in OK. This may be a bizzare attempt to get it to the current court, were if they are deadlocked it goes to the lower court's decision.......except I don't think a lower court could possibly find in their favor.

Reactions: 1 person

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
The law probably can - and will - be challenged before implementation, as likely to irreparably infringe on constitutionally protected rights.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Well, now I read the article. The bill has NOT passed, it likely won't, and it it does there is no 'new court battle' this is SETTLED law and would quickly be overturned due to Roe.

Much hysteria over nothing.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Well, now I read the article. The bill has NOT passed, it likely won't, and it it does there is no 'new court battle' this is SETTLED law and would quickly be overturned due to Roe.

Much hysteria over nothing.
The bill did pass. Both Houses. Just waiting for the Gov. signature...which remains to be seen.

So yes, there is much to be concerned about both houses passing a personhood bill, especially without putting to to vote like they did in other states.