OMG... Rip off of "Good Wife" comes out in RUSSIA hahaha

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

Wow...

Basic plot:

Alisa Filipova is a lawyer, who has no practiced for many years now, had no need to, being married to a powerful and wealthy man, Piotr Filipov, head prosecutor (same as state attorney in US) of Leningrad region; they been the perfect power couple)

But then, her husband falls from grace; not only does he lose his position and is arrested, in a huge corruption scandal

His dalliances with prostitues and whatnot are also exposed.

So, long story short, Alisa basically leaves him with the kids, moves into an apartment of her own with the kids, and re-starts her life; and her old law school friend, Vitaly Kalinin, invites her to join his firm, and, of course, old feelings are rekindled between them, as they work together

Yep, exactly like the American show haha Only, instead of gritty, corrupt Chicago, it is set in even gritter and MUCH more corrupt St. Petersburg :)

Well, they are honest, on the NTV site announcement page it is openly stated that this is an adaptation of the American "Good Wife".

Though, how they will fit it all to Russian realities will be fascinating to see.

Even, for the example, the state attorney election, which was a major plot line in the American show

In Russia, nobody elects prosecutors, they are simply appointed from above. So, that's gone, right there haha

But, yeah, can't wait to watch this...

Alexandra Ursulyak (Alisa) even actually resembles Julianna Margulies, amazing casting there :)

Alexander Domogarov (Piotr Filipov) is a famous star over there, or, at least, USED TO BE, rather, he became an icon playing a Moscow police detective in a drama series about a decade ago now. But, he hasn't appearned in any movies or on TV for years, mainly just worked at his theatre (which is no shame, theatre is greatly respected over there, btw, all the movie stars have own theatres to which they are dedicated since they were teens in acting school :D). This is considered his big comeback to the screen...

Russian TV has adopted plenty of Western shows, actually. Truthfully, the results are usually mixed, at best...

One of their worst flops was an attempt at own "Law & Order", couple years ago lol

Main problem with that one was, they took TOO MUCH from the original, it was too AMERICANIZED, I would say. The police detectives in the show quite simply didn't act the way Russian cops act, the way everyone there knows and is accustomed to. It wasn't natural.

Like, they literally had these supposedly Russian detective politely informing people of their rights, while arresting them; calling their lawyers, etc
People were watching that shit and rolling their fucking eyes hahaha

OTOH, there is for example, a show over there, like "Glukhar", which is VERY popular; and it is thanks in part to its indeed realism.

They have a Major Stas Karpov there, one of the characters, he is as fucked up as it gets; but he only hurts equally fucked up criminal people.

Here, dude makes a ruckus in his holding cell; Karpov, irritated, comes over and casually knocks some sense into the bastard
and here, tortures a guy in his cell, choking him with a bag over his head, to make him tell where his crazy religious sect is holding a kid they abducted
And people LOVE that one, because, like, that's authentic Russian police depiction :D

But, yeah, they had have their own versions of "Dr. House" over there (and that one was pretty good actually, I watched it)

and CSI

among others.

Putin and his ideology may seem like an antithesis of the West... But, they borrow plenty from here, these days, actually :)

Reactions: OldGaffer

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Fun stuff :lol:
I actually saw commercials for this when was watching NTV on my special internet service I've purchased (this box that plugs into our TV and modem, from company called KartinaTV, and it has like 300 channels from all of ex-USSR and also Russian language diaspora-run channels from Israel, Germany, and North America, costs about $200 a year) and saw advertising of this new show lmao

Damn nearly choked on my dinner haha

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
One of the great benefits of modern technology, easily able to keep plugged into your native culture while living half a world away. With your streaming service and the internet it is like you still live right in the center of Moscow, you just don't have to worry about getting a polonium cocktail...or a gang beatdown...

Reactions: The Man

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
And didn't you say there was a good Russian Restaurant there in your home town in Canada? Do they do delivery or carryout? :lol:
Toronto has all kinds of cuisine, including all kinds of ex-Soviet - Russian, Ukrainian, Georgian, Uzbek, you name it lol

That's what is great about living in an international city like this ;)

And, yes, it is also nice to have access to the media from over there. I can compare for myself to what the propaganda over there says to our own TV here. It can be very interesting :)

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Apparently, a Sony Pictures Russian affiliate made this show in Russia:

Wow, I had no idea lmao

Apparently, there is also a South Korean version too!

I want to watch that one now too, with subtitles, hopefully lol

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Is the Russian version of CSI called 'herring'?
"Sled" means "Trail" or "Footprint", generally. In this case probably also shorthand from "sledovatel", which is what police detectives and investigators are commonly called in Russia.

Reactions: caffeine