On Tax Day, Trump tax cuts remain deeply unpopular

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
Trump boasted in Michigan last month that he signed into law “massive tax cuts, the biggest in the history of our country.”As Americans rush Monday to finish with their own tax filings, their judgment on Trump’s beloved tax cut bill is pretty clear: Most really don’t like it. Multiple polls show a majority of Americans don’t think they got a tax cut at all — even though independent analyses show they did. And only about a third of the country approves of the legislation itself, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, passed by Congress at the end of 2017.

So as Trump moves closer to full-time reelection mode later this year, he will have to battle a stark reality: While his personal rating on the economy remains high, his signature legislative achievement is widely viewed as a political dud, one that has drawn special anger in places with high state and local taxes and pricey housing markets where deductions were limited to reduce the overall cost of the tax plan. One reason many Americans don't feel the tax cut: The most dramatic benefit was aimed at slashing the corporate tax rate. And many Democrats want to undo much of that cut.

Polling data suggest Democrats have fertile ground to rip into Trump’s tax cuts. A recent NBC/Wall Street Journal poll found that just 17 percent of Americans believe their own taxes will go down as a result of the bill. A CBS News poll found that 40 percent said they saw no change from the tax bill. And more said it drove their taxes up (32 percent) than lowered their tax bill (25 percent.)

The bill itself has been unpopular from the start and remains so. A Pew Research Center survey conducted last month found that 36 percent of Americans approve of the tax-cut law while 49 percent disapprove. Even the number of Republicans who strongly approve of the law dipped in the latest Pew survey.

On Tax Day, Trump tax cuts remain deeply unpopular

Well yeah. When you had a lot of major corps paying zero taxes and then you either see no change in your bill or you had to pay more, that is going to piss off a lot of people
high-five-smiley-emoticon.gif giving-thumbs-up-winking-smiley-emoticon.gif

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Less than one in five registered voters say they paid less in taxes during the first year of President Trump's landmark tax law, a Hill-HarrisX poll released Monday finds.

Only 18 percent of respondents say they are paying less in federal taxes for 2018 compared to 2017 in the survey, which was taken ahead of the April 15 tax deadline.

A majority said their 2018 tax bill was about the same or higher compared to 2017. Thirty-two percent said their federal taxes were higher under the Trump tax law. A plurality of respondents, 36 percent, said they owed about the same in federal taxes compared to the previous year. Fourteen percent said they were not sure whether they paid more or less.

Poll: Only 18 percent say they are paying less under Trump tax law
According to your cite, 68% say they aren't paying more. It doesn't really matter, like their health care, most Americans don't understand how their taxes work or what they actually pay.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
According to your cite, 68% say they aren't paying more. It doesn't really matter, like their health care, most Americans don't understand how their taxes work or what they actually pay.
It does not matter.

Don't you get in Politics is all about "perception"?

And the "perception" is that most people are NOT happy with his stupid tax bill.

Jul 2014
midwest
Again, not what the article said

Why do the same people feel the need to divert over and over again?

Is it because they don't have anything else to contribute?

I'm thinking yes.
You may not believe it but many of us LIKE having more of our own money.

Feel free to pay extra in taxes...

Apr 2015
Katmandu
It does not matter.

And the "perception" is that most people are NOT happy with his stupid tax bill.
Pew says they are more happy about taxes than in 2012 or 2016 or 2017, this is first time they actually filed under it.

Nov 2016
USA
It does not matter.

And for me, I’m not talking about “perception.” I’m not talking about the size of refunds nor about how much we owe. I’m talking about what the bottom line says on line 15 of IRS Form 1040, “total tax.” My tax liability did not go down. So don’t expect me to sing trump’s praises over this. He can go fuck himself as far as I’m concerned. I’m sure he made out like a bandit with this tax law.

Apr 2015
Katmandu
And for me, I’m not talking about “perception.” I’m not talking about the size of refunds nor about how much we owe. I’m talking about what the bottom line says on line 15 of IRS Form 1040, “total tax.” My tax liability did not go down. So don’t expect me to sing trump’s praises over this. He can go fuck himself as far as I’m concerned. I’m sure he made out like a bandit with this tax law.
It helped me, Thanks DJT.

If you income went up, line 15 should be higher.