On The Basis Of Sex

Oct 2013
USA
The movie is well worth seeing and imo you come away from it with a better grasp of what motivated RBG, her time, and her obstacles. Posters on this board can find their lane as well even if it is only because of the Constitutional elements. As far as her argument goes it was a thing of beauty in terms of staying true to the case before the court. I am not going to go into that part in case anyone is going to see it.. It was also a love story in many ways. In the end this movie grabbed both of us and not in a political way but a human way. Add that the case she won was even more than I understood in terms of how she won it. To her credit RGB readily explains when asked where a little fantasy is inserted like stumbling in her presentation initially, and doing the dance "the Twist" which she reminds viewers was not even a dance in that timeframe.

The reason I think both liberal and conservative political wonks here in PH may enjoy their own version of what was important in this peek into her life is that where they stand politically is smaller than the story of her life, the importance of that life, and the times she overcame. So there you have it.

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
We watched the documentary RBG last night. I'd highly recommend it. She actually argued six cases before SCOTUS and won five of them. IMO, she did more to further the cause of women's rights and equal protection under the law than anyone (and I'd include Susan B. Anthony in there...sort of an inside joke that), and she did it brilliantly.

Simply a remarkable person (and no less remarkable was her friendship with Scalia).

Oct 2013
USA
We watched the documentary RBG last night. I'd highly recommend it. She actually argued six cases before SCOTUS and won five of them. IMO, she did more to further the cause of women's rights and equal protection under the law than anyone (and I'd include Susan B. Anthony in there...sort of an inside joke that), and she did it brilliantly.

Simply a remarkable person (and no less remarkable was her friendship with Scalia).
I'll try to catch it on rerun because unfortunately I missed it. I totally agree with you on this: "she did more to further the cause of women's rights and equal protection under the law than anyone" and I would include Susan B. Anthony but with an asterisk that both were important contributions. ;)

It isn't in the movie but RBG often quotes this from her husband "the true symbol of the United States is not the bald eagle; it is the pendulum, and if it goes too far in one direction, it’s going to swing back.” It may or may not be ironic that society's pendulum swung way over to her side at the time she stood before those judges. Timing is a beautiful thing.

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
I'll try to catch it on rerun because unfortunately I missed it. I totally agree with you on this: "she did more to further the cause of women's rights and equal protection under the law than anyone" and I would include Susan B. Anthony but with an asterisk that both were important contributions. ;)

It isn't in the movie but RBG often quotes this from her husband "the true symbol of the United States is not the bald eagle; it is the pendulum, and if it goes too far in one direction, it’s going to swing back.” It may or may not be ironic that society's pendulum swung way over to her side at the time she stood before those judges. Timing is a beautiful thing.

I'm sure the film touched on it, but her husband seemed to be a rather remarkable individual as well (and, by all accounts, was responsible for getting her to the top of Clinton's list of choices for the Court). I don't want to give anything away, but you'll understand my SBA reference once you see the docu.

Oct 2013
USA
I'm sure the film touched on it, but her husband seemed to be a rather remarkable individual as well (and, by all accounts, was responsible for getting her to the top of Clinton's list of choices for the Court). I don't want to give anything away, but you'll understand my SBA reference once you see the docu.
Raj that supportive intelligence he possessed actually came across in the movie in some form I also won't go into for the same reason. Sounds like the documentary fills in even more blanks. What a great story! There is no way I will miss that documentary thanks to you.

Jul 2015
Florida

All the above. The best things come in small packages. Including brains. Quite a love story from the CNN documentary running.

We had Lilly Ledbetter as a speaker at a fundraiser in 2016. She had quite a story to tell (not to mention she was funny as shit). Her Alabama accent and wit I'm sure was quite disarming over the years.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
The movie is well worth seeing and imo you come away from it with a better grasp of what motivated RBG, her time, and her obstacles. Posters on this board can find their lane as well even if it is only because of the Constitutional elements. As far as her argument goes it was a thing of beauty in terms of staying true to the case before the court. I am not going to go into that part in case anyone is going to see it.. It was also a love story in many ways. In the end this movie grabbed both of us and not in a political way but a human way. Add that the case she won was even more than I understood in terms of how she won it. To her credit RGB readily explains when asked where a little fantasy is inserted like stumbling in her presentation initially, and doing the dance "the Twist" which she reminds viewers was not even a dance in that timeframe.

The reason I think both liberal and conservative political wonks here in PH may enjoy their own version of what was important in this peek into her life is that where they stand politically is smaller than the story of her life, the importance of that life, and the times she overcame. So there you have it.
Fascinating lady, absolutely.

May we know the title of the movie? Is it streamed?

Dec 2018
the Heart of America

RBG was very good. I have "On the Basis of Sex" in my Netflix que and will come out in April.

Love the quote and agree with it.