On This Day in History

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
Some of us old geezers remember.

Young whippersnappers...not so much...
Indeed. I was not even born untill 1949, but my mother lost a high school friend on the U.S.S. Arizona and I was named after an uncle that does in France in 1944. That war is a part of my family hostory.

Jul 2014
midwest
Indeed. I was not even born untill 1949, but my mother lost a high school friend on the U.S.S. Arizona and I was named after an uncle that does in France in 1944. That war is a part of my family hostory.
Mine, too.

My dad served in Europe.

He never, ever wanted to go take our family to the movies.

He would take us when WE wanted to go.

Until the movie "Patton" came out.

He was there in some capacity, but like many others of that generation, he didn't talk about it.

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
Mine, too.

My dad served in Europe.

He never, ever wanted to go take our family to the movies.

He would take us when WE wanted to go.

Until the movie "Patton" came out.

He was there in some capacity, but like many others of that generation, he didn't talk about it.
Yeah, only one of my uncles ever talked about his experiences in the Pacific theater of war at all and then only when quite drunk. He was a combat engineer in the Army and took part in a number of the island invasions.

Jul 2014
midwest
Yeah, only one of my uncles ever talked about his experiences in the Pacific theater of war at all and then only when quite drunk. He was a combat engineer in the Army and took part in a number of the island invasions.
They don't call them "The Greatest Generation" for nothing.

For my money, they were.