On This Day in History

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Dec 11, 1994, Russian federal troops rolled into separatist-controlled Chechnya
the beginning of the Chechen Wars, which would last until 2009, and see both some vicious terrorism from the Chechens; and, in turn, unimaginable abuses and brutalities against them by the federal forces, which I talked about here: Democrats support the worst HATE group of all time.

ARMCX1

Former Staff
Jun 2013
SoCal
Dec 11, 1994, Russian federal troops rolled into separatist-controlled Chechnya
the beginning of the Chechen Wars, which would last until 2009, and see both some vicious terrorism from the Chechens; and, in turn, unimaginable abuses and brutalities against them by the federal forces, which I talked about here: Democrats support the worst HATE group of all time.
Say a prayer for Grozny.

Jan 2016
Colorado
December 28, 2008 (10 years ago): The Detroit Lions completed a 0-16 season-----the NFL's worst ever-----with a 31-21 loss to the Green Bay Packers.

Snicker.

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
1890 Wounded Knee Massacre
On this day, the U.S. Army’s 7th Cavalry tried to disarm the members of the Lakota tribe who were camped at the Wounded Knee Creek. During their attempt, a shot was fired and the cavalry massacred over 150 members of the tribe including women and children. Many historians believe that the number of people massacred was much higher. Wounded Knee is near present day Lakota Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in the state of South Dakota.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Well. This is much less serious than the previous entry, and that's an understatement. But.....

On December 29, 1978 (40 years ago): During the Gator Bowl, Ohio State University head coach Woody Hayes punched Clemson player Charlie Bauman, who had intercepted an Ohio State pass. Hayes was fired by Ohio State the next day.

The following year, Saturday Night Live ran a parody of Woody Hayes that some people thought went 'over the top'. The skit portrayed Woody Hayes playing a card game of gin rummy with his wife, losing, and then losing his temper, and throwing a flurry of punches at his wife. Personally, I thought it was downright hilarious. In part, because I detested Woody Hayes.

I was a student at Michigan State in the mid-1970s, and when Ohio State came to play Michigan State one fine Saturday, I saw some students marching around the stadium with a big sign that said this:

Will Rogers Never Met Woody Hayes

This was a reference to the famous quote by Will Rogers: "I never met a man I didn't like."

:cool:

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
Rudyard Kipling, author of 'The Jungle Book', was born on this day in 1865. Aged 41 when he was awarded the Nobel Prize, Kipling was, and still is, the youngest ever Literature Laureate.

Image: Wikimedia Commons

kipling.jpg

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
1813: British forces burn the town of Buffalo, NY.

1993: Israel establishes diplomatic relations with Vatican City.

2006: Saddam Hussein is executed.