On This Day in History

Jan 2016
Colorado
Today, January 9:

On this day in 1493, Italian explorer Christopher Columbus, sailing near the Dominican Republic, sees three “mermaids”–in reality manatees–and describes them as “not half as beautiful as they are painted.”
I mean, I realize sailors would get really lonely on those long sea voyages in the olden days, but you'd have to be uber-horny to find a manatee attractive.

Seriously.....

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
1901: Start of the US oil industry:

On this day in 1901, a drilling derrick at Spindletop Hill near Beaumont, Texas, produces an enormous gusher of crude oil, coating the landscape for hundreds of feet and signaling the advent of the American oil industry. The geyser was discovered at a depth of over 1,000 feet, flowed at an initial rate of approximately 100,000 barrels a day and took nine days to cap. Following the discovery, petroleum, which until that time had been used in the U.S. primarily as a lubricant and in kerosene for lamps, would become the main fuel source for new inventions such as cars and airplanes; coal-powered forms of transportation including ships and trains would also convert to the liquid fuel.
Just 118 years ago.

Jul 2014
midwest
Marilyn Monroe was vastly more attractive than any manatee. [See post #493 above.]

If anyone argues with me on this, they should be immediately perma-banned.
And, she's STLL considered to be Americas all time biggest sex symbol.

That is amazing, but partly because she never grew old.

Dint that marriage end very quickly?

Very troubled person...

Jan 2016
Colorado
And, she's STLL considered to be Americas all time biggest sex symbol.

That is amazing, but partly because she never grew old.

Dint that marriage end very quickly?

Very troubled person...
Very troubled, perhaps, but Marilyn Monroe was far more intelligent than most people realize. She enjoyed discussing topics ranging from quantum physics to foreign policy, which is perhaps why she found her marriage to Joe DiMaggio somewhat limiting and unsatisfying.

Helena

Former Staff
Sep 2007
Maybe my user title will provide a clue.
Very troubled, perhaps, but Marilyn Monroe was far more intelligent than most people realize. She enjoyed discussing topics ranging from quantum physics to foreign policy, which is perhaps why she found her marriage to Joe DiMaggio somewhat limiting and unsatisfying.
Given her terrifying childhood, I'd say she still turned out quite well.