Once Its Greatest Foes, Doctors Are Embracing Single-Payer

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
There are LOTS of differences between America and "Every industrialized nation in the world" in case you hadn't noticed.

Some good and some not so good.

But we American type people kinda like that in case you hadn't noticed.
As far as the approach to public health is concerned; it would appear that not all Americans appreciate the difference. My family and I have a number of American friends, all of whom are comfortably well off enough to pay their health care premiums, but none of whom are convinced that funding health care is best done by for-profit corporations. I know this is anecdotal, and not acceptable as incontrovertible evidence, but the majority of Americans who have contributed to this thread, also appear to have some misgivings about that system.

This is not a 'my country is better than your country' debate, and you are correct to state that there are myriad cultural differences between industrialised nations. However, the question of health care, and the availability thereof - irrespective of financial standing - is a human one, and one's nationality (irrespective of how exceptional one may consider that nationality,) does not alter basic human needs. Leaving aside individual perceptions of national superiority - perceptive people around the world judge us - not by the number of billionaires or carrier groups we sport, but by how we treat the least of those in our society.

Jul 2013
On a happy trail
Medicare definitely does not participate in "death panels" Neither does Medicaid. I have seen approvals from Medicare that have shocked me. For example, hip replacements for patients who are in their late 80's to 90's if they are healthy enough systemically to undergo the surgery...knowing full well the patient will never get out of a wheel chair and proposed the surgery for pain relief. I saw it with my own Mother. Her final expenses in the hospital was near a 1/2 million dollars for her last admission. She was 85 years old, zero kidney function, heart failure and they still put her on 3 days of therapeutic dialysis which included round the clock observation with one nurse in ICU. She was also vented and heavily sedated. They were hoping to rest her kidneys with a CHANCE they start functioning again.
My dad was ninety and they didn't miss a trick until he indicated he had had enough. They wanted to go the dialysis route too after he got off the vent. Medicare paid for everything but the 50 dollar deductible ER visit

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
My dad was ninety and they didn't miss a trick until he indicated he had had enough. They wanted to go the dialysis route too after he got off the vent. Medicare paid for everything but the 50 dollar deductible ER visit
My Dad paid very little of my Mom's bill after her last ICU visit. My Dad who is 91, fell back in May and has a subdural hematoma and Medicare so far has approved 3 CT scans and a MRI..in 3 months. This would never happen with my insurance. I feel Medicare and the hospital went up and beyond as far as care for my Mom. My Mom had a cardiac arrest during her therapeutic dialysis but they worked on her about 45 minutes trying to save her life. We were going to sign the advanced directives the next day if she could not come off the vent but she died before that happened. I am glad my Mom did not have to endure dialysis weekly, I think she would not have lasted very long with her other conditions and it would have been torture for her and my Dad. Dialysis is rough on young patients but with the elderly it is pretty bad. Prior to her death, she was receiving 1-2 pints of blood monthly because her hemoglobin was compromised from kidney disease and Medicare never blinked a eye. This went on for a year. Medicare is a excellent program for our seniors and it shows in longevity that we are seeing today. Seniors are bad ass and it is directly related to access to quality care.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait till you see how much it costs when it's free

You posted the same things about the ACA. Now,that it is being destroyed piece by piece people are finding out much of it is good.

All you have to project is fear. That fear is fast losing now.

I have yet to see you post about solutions. Once in a blue moon you accidently hit on one, not often.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
But do not forget your dad paid for that benefit every month out of his SS check. It was not free. He just happened to be one who had serious problems. Hundreds of others die suddenly.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
As far as the approach to public health is concerned; it would appear that not all Americans appreciate the difference. My family and I have a number of American friends, all of whom are comfortably well off enough to pay their health care premiums, but none of whom are convinced that funding health care is best done by for-profit corporations. I know this is anecdotal, and not acceptable as incontrovertible evidence, but the majority of Americans who have contributed to this thread, also appear to have some misgivings about that system.

This is not a 'my country is better than your country' debate, and you are correct to state that there are myriad cultural differences between industrialised nations. However, the question of health care, and the availability thereof - irrespective of financial standing - is a human one, and one's nationality (irrespective of how exceptional one may consider that nationality,) does not alter basic human needs. Leaving aside individual perceptions of national superiority - perceptive people around the world judge us - not by the number of billionaires or carrier groups we sport, but by how we treat the least of those in our society.
Republicans seem to have lost that,Leo. If they ever had it to begin with. Every program you can name has been a Democratic one with the exception of the Drug bill from GW Bush. But that had a donut hole big enough to swallow a whale. The ACA partially fixed that.

As a young man on this board you have seen a small window of the US. Keep in mind those me me attitudes you see grow smaller each year. They can only win now by cheating on the Political stage. There are millions across this Country who care, help their fellow man. This board does not represent the majority.

I see it every day in my small city. And, I am happy I live here because this too shall pass.

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
Republicans seem to have lost that,Leo. If they ever had it to begin with. Every program you can name has been a Democratic one with the exception of the Drug bill from GW Bush. But that had a donut hole big enough to swallow a whale. The ACA partially fixed that.

As a young man on this board you have seen a small window of the US. Keep in mind those me me attitudes you see grow smaller each year. They can only win now by cheating on the Political stage. There are millions across this Country who care, help their fellow man. This board does not represent the majority.

I see it every day in my small city. And, I am happy I live here because this too shall pass.
Thank you MaryAnne, you are entirely correct, and the time I spent in your beautiful country as a much younger man, gives me a much better (and, I suspect, a more accurate) concept of the average American. I experienced friendliness, kindness, and generosity as a relatively young teenager travelling across your country - this from strangers who had nothing to gain from helping and welcoming me. I do not for a moment believe that the minority mean-spirited and selfish attitudes I encounter on these pages represent the people of the USA.

I don't know enough about politics in general, or US party-politics in particular, to comment intelligently upon those views - but they differ only in frequency to similar ultra-conservative views I encounter from a handful of people in the UK, and in Australia. The same 'dog-eat-dog', and 'let the Devil take the hindmost' condemnation of the poor and the unfortunate, are parroted in different accents on this side of the pond. I come from a socially conservative family, but I had never heard those (aptly described) 'me, me, me' attitudes so loudly articulated, and camouflaged as 'responsible fiscal policy', until I entered the cyber world. And from what I have seen of other boards (whereat I have lurked in the past,) this board is quite moderate in the generality of views articulated. Some are frightening in the inhumanity of the majority views given.

But you are correct in that these imbalances will right themselves in a society run by the rule of law, and the good will of decent people - such as the USA.

Lol, I believe it was Winston Churchill who once said, “You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing after they have tried everything else.” :friendly_wink:

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
Thank you MaryAnne, you are entirely correct, and the time I spent in your beautiful country as a much younger man, gives me a much better (and, I suspect, a more accurate) concept of the average American. I experienced friendliness, kindness, and generosity as a relatively young teenager travelling across your country - this from strangers who had nothing to gain from helping and welcoming me. I do not for a moment believe that the minority mean-spirited and selfish attitudes I encounter on these pages represent the people of the USA.

I don't know enough about politics in general, or US party-politics in particular, to comment intelligently upon those views - but they differ only in frequency to similar ultra-conservative views I encounter from a handful of people in the UK, and in Australia. The same 'dog-eat-dog', and 'let the Devil take the hindmost' condemnation of the poor and the unfortunate, are parroted in different accents on this side of the pond. I come from a socially conservative family, but I had never heard those (aptly described) 'me, me, me' attitudes so loudly articulated, and camouflaged as 'responsible fiscal policy', until I entered the cyber world. And from what I have seen of other boards (whereat I have lurked in the past,) this board is quite moderate in the generality of views articulated. Some are frightening in the inhumanity of the majority views given.

But you are correct in that these imbalances will right themselves in a society run by the rule of law, and the good will of decent people - such as the USA.

Lol, I believe it was Winston Churchill who once said, “You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing after they have tried everything else.” :friendly_wink:
He did, Leo.:) Winston also was down in the trenches during the war. There are many photos of him out in the streets after the bombings. Funny thing here. Many Evangelicals compared Trump to Churchill. That was almost funny for those who knew what Churchill went through and accomplished.

My BIL actually married an English girl. My Husband met her when both were stationed there. She refused to come to the US, so somewhere in England I have a nephew. My Husband was 18,his brother a few years older.. The family kept in touch for a while,not sure how they lost contact.

Last edited:
Jul 2014
midwest
If you think healthcare is expensive now, just wait till you see how much it costs when it's free

You posted the same things about the ACA. Now,that it is being destroyed piece by piece people are finding out much of it is good.

All you have to project is fear. That fear is fast losing now.

I have yet to see you post about solutions. Once in a blue moon you accidently hit on one, not often.
So, what's your solution?

Or are you just here to criticize me?

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
So, what's your solution?

Or are you just here to criticize me?
I have stated my opinions over and over. Expand Medicare to younger people. It has a 3% overhead.

Or Single Payer for all. Universal, that would cut Insurance companies profit.

It is clear that Medicare Advantage plans adjusted to the ACA and expanded benefits. It will not be free,everyone would pay just like they do for Medicare today. Simplify, which is exavtly what young Doctors are doing today.

Help Doctors pay for their Education. Incentives to practice in Rural areas. Nurse Practitioners. Something my office already has to take a major load off Doctors. Some offices here have 6 or 8 Nurse Practitioners to one Doctor. Mine has 4 Doctors, Nurse Practitioners,2 to 1, and they are looking for more.

Your ideas?