Once Its Greatest Foes, Doctors Are Embracing Single-Payer

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Are you bad mouthing EMTALA?

Shame on you!
EMTALA is a foundational example of conservatives' ultimate belief in providing health care to those who need it, regardless of ability to pay. A lot of this probably has to do with the fact it was passed under Reagan, but even aside from this law, most conservatives don't ultimately believe in deprivation and "left to die in the streets" and what not.

So what is it called when a government declares something should be universally provided regardless of the recipient's ability to pay? It's called a public good. And how are public goods typically funded? Publicly.

Reactions: 1 person
Nov 2016
USA
Single Payer is coming, it's just a matter of time.

Years? Decades?

No worries, it's coming.

And it will suck.

Yes, there will be death panels.

But, do not fret...it's coming...

There already are death panels. They just don’t call them that. Insurance companies can, and do, deny coverage for treatments for critically ill patients.

Reactions: 3 people

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
There already are death panels. They just don’t call them that. Insurance companies can, and do, deny coverage for treatments for critically ill patients.
Give an example, please.

"Death panels" are what Sarah Palin called the ability of insurance to pay doctors for conversations with patients about their options at end of life. Does every patient even WANT to be preserved a few weeks, in great pain, while nurses prod them doing expensive tests? Is that the way you want to go out?

Jul 2014
midwest
Of COURSE there are!

And when we get "Single Payer" there will be gubmint death panels.

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
There would have to be some minimum standards. Otherwise you could sell people "health insurance" that costs a dollar a year and agrees to pay for nothing. Viola! "Health insurance!"
I completely agree. I don't know if I would agree on where exactly to draw that line of minimum standards, but I agree there need to be some basics. Some of the fine-print exclusions border on fraud in my opinion. It shouldn't require expertise to understand before buying what's covered and what's not, and should actually provide a modicum of protection against catastrophic loss.

The main reason people are so freaked out about letting people buy higher-deductible, "skinnier" plans is not necessarily that they're quasi-fraudulent plans for dupes (maybe some are but that's not necessarily the case), it's that it enables a sort of adverse selection which causes lower-deductible ACA-compliant plans to rise in cost, which Republicans can then point to and say "See? Obamacare's a failure!" But if we made everyone eligible for subsidies, we shouldn't necessarily care that much if there's a little bit of adverse selection in ACA-plans and premiums are steep in the lower-deductible plans that attract sicker people, because that's where the subsidies would come in to smooth that out.

Last edited:
Nov 2013
NY
The U.K.

They made the news, even over here, twice in the past couple of years.
Oh, the UK.. that the same guys who voted for Brexit, and are now whining that they can't negotiate with the EU to leave while maintaining all the advantages of being a member ?

yes, those guys currently end to vote for stuff that they regret a second later.

Jul 2011
UK/Australia
The U.K.

They made the news, even over here, twice in the past couple of years.
Would you be so kind as to cite the news articles which refer to British 'death panels'. I am curious, as I have not heard of any such accusation in the reputable British Media. Thanks. :)

Reactions: 2 people