Ontario wants to ban phones in the classroom

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Some education experts have expressed concerns that Ontario's plan to ban the use of cellphones in classrooms will be ineffective and nearly impossible to enforce.

The province, according to information released Tuesday by Education Minister Lisa Thompson, will ban the use of phones during instructional time across Ontario by the start of the coming school year.

Thompson said use of the devices "distracts from learning" and that a ban was supported by 97 per cent of respondents in a recent consultation conducted by the province.

However, some education experts and parents say the Progressive Conservative government is moving too quickly on the file, arguing that not enough evidence exists to support such a sweeping ban.

"Telling post-millennials to get rid of their cellphones is almost like telling them not to breathe," said Charles Pascal, a professor at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education at the University of Toronto.

"It's not going to work," he told CBC News.

Unah Grieve, a former parent association president at Toronto's Lawrence Park Collegiate Institute, said enforcing the ban will be challenging.

She imagines that school staff could be consumed with "patrolling phones" under the proposed rules, instead of doing work.

"It's just going to be incredibly hard to enforce," she said. "I just kind of see a lot of chaos."

While some schools and school boards around Canada have introduced phone bans in recent years, it appears that Ontario would become the first province to do so if the legislation moves ahead this fall.
Much more: Ontario wants to ban phones in the classroom. Critics wonder how that will be enforced | CBC News

There are other examples of such policies, France, for example, last year, banned phones for all kids under 15 in their schools: France has banned all children under 15 from using their phones in school

In Russia also, for instance, more and more teachers, on individual basis, confiscate all phones in their classroom for the duration of the class, easier to work that way

and two thirds of respondents in a poll I've seen over there support a countrywide policy against phones in schools that is being proposed this year. It was an all-ADULT poll, yes hehe

lol Should be interesting to see how that develops though... Modern kids indeed seem like they couldn't survive without their smartphones...

Dec 2014
NWOHQ
So they should. A few years ago in my capacity as a member of an arts lobby group, I brought a respected and established artist into a seminar to discuss innovative uses of mediums, in order to produce individual and innovative techniques and styles. Throughout the lecture, the senior students in attendance were distracted by iPods and Phones and were not disciplined by the teachers.

It was so rude and the artist asked me never to engage her again in such a forum.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
It is March and I hate Smart Phones!! Ban them, smash them, do what ever it takes. LOL j/k. :) It is a battle that teachers cannot win. It cannot be done. I used to collect the phones, confiscate them and ask that parents to pick up the phone, etc. The problem I see lately, the parents want their kids to have the phones in class. The parents are just as bad as far as texting a student while in class. They consider it a life line.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
It is March and I hate Smart Phones!! Ban them, smash them, do what ever it takes. LOL j/k. :) It is a battle that teachers cannot win. It cannot be done. I used to collect the phones, confiscate them and ask that parents to pick up the phone, etc. The problem I see lately, the parents want their kids to have the phones in class. The parents are just as bad as far as texting a student while in class. They consider it a life line.
I fight this battle every day of my life. I have kids in grade 6 and grade 1. Most all the grade 1 kids have iPhones. 600 dollar toys, carried to school by fucking toddlers.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
The same class has a homework calender that kids are supposed to take home and complete each month. It takes about 3 minutes a day.

Since September, only two kids have EVER turned a month in. Mine and another half Asian kid. ITS MARCH

Last edited:
Nov 2014
North Carolina
Much more: Ontario wants to ban phones in the classroom. Critics wonder how that will be enforced | CBC News

There are other examples of such policies, France, for example, last year, banned phones for all kids under 15 in their schools: France has banned all children under 15 from using their phones in school

In Russia also, for instance, more and more teachers, on individual basis, confiscate all phones in their classroom for the duration of the class, easier to work that way

and two thirds of respondents in a poll I've seen over there support a countrywide policy against phones in schools that is being proposed this year. It was an all-ADULT poll, yes hehe

lol Should be interesting to see how that develops though... Modern kids indeed seem like they couldn't survive without their smartphones...
Many schools here in the States already do this. Students have to check in their phones before class and get them back after school.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
I don't understand the "it will never work" argument. That's the argument my own province gave out today after the Ontario news went out. "Its not a realistic policy. Its impossible to enforce" .

Really?

If you see a cell phone, take it away and don't give it back.

There. Enforced. What am I missing?

Dec 2014
NWOHQ
I don't understand the "it will never work" argument. That's the argument my own province gave out today after the Ontario news went out. "Its not a realistic policy. Its impossible to enforce" .

Really?

If you see a cell phone, take it away and don't give it back.

There. Enforced. What am I missing?

Some schools here have a policy where the phone is to remain in the student's locker and only accessible during breaks. It works where employed and violations are treated with disciplinary measures.