Ontario wants to ban phones in the classroom

Dec 2018
Florida
LOL The millennial's broke me a few years ago. :) I drew a truce in the classroom. I ask that they keep their phones in their pockets or book bags during lecture and exams. They can check their phones during activities as long as they are not glued to the phone. I also allow them to use their phones during game apps I use in class such as Kahoots or Quizlet. This way they can still touch their phones. LOL

If it gets too bad...I will text them myself and say "please put your phone away, you are killing me today" They chuckle and put it away. :) It is constant reminders and coaching about the phones these days.
It is an addiction. It is sad. I’m even bad about it. The “shut up and take my money meme” is literally about phones.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
LOL, I may be the only person one earth without a smart phone. I have a little flip phone I keep on my for emergencies, but I let the minutes run out or forget to charge it half the time.

The only thing I can think one might be handy for is GPS. Other than that, if something's important enough, I figure I'll find out soon enough.

Feb 2019
Next Airport
People treat their phones like baby soothers.

I see lots of walking ZOMBIES now days. Heads down, phone in hand, oblivious of their surroundings

No excuse for stupidity.

Ever watch people together in a restaurant, phones in hand? They ignore each other.

SAD

StanStill

Former Staff
Dec 2013
Work
SPEC5 Desktop 2.4GHz, 5GHz WIFI jammer - 10Watt

SPEC5 is the first ever jammer (and currently the only one on the market) with the ability to jam more advanced and more faster WIFI frequencies working on 5GHz spectrum. The 5GHz band operates at three standards: 802.11ac, 802.11a and 802.11n. 5GHz band becoming more and more popular nowadays because it can provide you with the faster rates, fewer disconnects and more enjoyable experience. Another advantage of 5GHz signals may be able to get into places that 2.4GHz couldn’t reach because of the size of their waveforms.​
No idea what solutions could be out there for jamming cellular signals, or perhaps just blocking them, but if you start with that you can at least focus on the really smart kids who find a way around it and nudge them into the computer science and electrical engineering track.

Win-win!

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
valid location
Oh yes definitely. The last year my son was in college, one of his roommates mom told me that she had a run in with a professor because he took his cellphone. She yelled at him and said "I always must be able to contact him."
Wow. First, the only thing I'd say to such a parent is "This is not your business. Your child is an adult. Get out of my face now or I'm calling security." A college instructor never has to deal with a parent (maybe at a private school, but never at a public CC or university).

Second, I think the instructor could get into trouble with the law. Adults can't go around taking the property of other adults. There are laws against that.

Third, I have a note in all my syllabi that prohibit the use of electronic devices other than for class work. I don't let students "take notes" on their phones. If someone were to repeatedly violate a syllabus rule like that, one might kick them out of class...but taking the phone? Bad idea.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
People treat their phones like baby soothers.

I see lots of walking ZOMBIES now days. Heads down, phone in hand, oblivious of their surroundings

No excuse for stupidity.

Ever watch people together in a restaurant, phones in hand? They ignore each other.

SAD
I wonder if phones increased the amount of people willing to dine alone, who otherwise wouldn't have gone to the restaurant at all? Could be an upside to that. Plus if if you've ever had to out and eat with one or more people you weren't that crazy about, having the phone to focus on might be a welcome diversion. Better than sitting there making boring small talk.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
SPEC5 Desktop 2.4GHz, 5GHz WIFI jammer - 10Watt

SPEC5 is the first ever jammer (and currently the only one on the market) with the ability to jam more advanced and more faster WIFI frequencies working on 5GHz spectrum. The 5GHz band operates at three standards: 802.11ac, 802.11a and 802.11n. 5GHz band becoming more and more popular nowadays because it can provide you with the faster rates, fewer disconnects and more enjoyable experience. Another advantage of 5GHz signals may be able to get into places that 2.4GHz couldn’t reach because of the size of their waveforms.​
No idea what solutions could be out there for jamming cellular signals, or perhaps just blocking them, but if you start with that you can at least focus on the really smart kids who find a way around it and nudge them into the computer science and electrical engineering track.

Win-win!
I was gonna suggest turning a classroom into a Faraday Cage but that jammer is easier.

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
It is March and I hate Smart Phones!! Ban them, smash them, do what ever it takes. LOL j/k. :) It is a battle that teachers cannot win. It cannot be done. I used to collect the phones, confiscate them and ask that parents to pick up the phone, etc. The problem I see lately, the parents want their kids to have the phones in class. The parents are just as bad as far as texting a student while in class. They consider it a life line.
But that makes no sense whatsoever. "A life line???" WTF?

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.
In the defence of parents wanting their kids to have phones, no one needs to spend $500 for a phone that functions well enough to get in touch with their kids. Phones don't need to be that expensive to work.
Exactly. A kid does not need an Iphone, does not need to be able to connect to the internet, take photos, etc. You need to call home because you missed the bus and need a ride. A simple cheap flip phone will accomplish that just fine.