Ontario wants to ban phones in the classroom

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
I fight this battle every day of my life. I have kids in grade 6 and grade 1. Most all the grade 1 kids have iPhones. 600 dollar toys, carried to school by fucking toddlers.
My daughter is in fifth grade. I've never seen one single kid in her class with a smartphone. There's no posted rules about it either. Nothing sent home to parents. I can say the same about when she was in fourth, third, second and first grade too.

Middle school was different for my son. It started in seventh grade (two years ago). Even then though it was not a huge huge issue. Some teachers actually incorporated them into the classwork, allowing their use for research as an option instead of the classroom laptops. Others used it as a dangled carrot, "if I don't see one phone out this week/day, you can use them during free time after the test on Friday.". The peer pressure of not wanting to ruin it for everyone worked fairly well.

I'm not saying it's perfect or that there are no problems at all. Where we are though I'm not seeing the huge issue and I'm not hearing about it from teachers or administrators as one of their top problems.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
lol I recall back in Moscow, I had a buddy in school, Nikolai, Kolya, Bogolyubov. This was early 2000s, let's say '02 or '03. We were all, like, 13, 14.

Kolya was from one of the wealthy families in the school. His dad was a math professor at Moscow University, very well paid fellow. His mom was a musician, if I recall correctly, in some fancy orchestra at the Conservatory.

Their dacha (country house) was badass, they had a full sauna and pool and billiard room over there and lots of other things. I stayed there long time once, remember that well, it was fun haha

And, he was pretty much the only kid in our school who had a cell phone at the time. One of those Motorola bricks they had then, but, for the time - state of the art lol

Showed that thing off to all the girls, Kolya did haha

Anyhow, well, I always thought it was kinda weird: seemingly good kid from such a high culture family, who hung out with lowlife trash like me and other guys in my circle all the damn time haha

Well, not too long ago we were actually in touch, online. I finally asked him, what the heck was a guy like you doing with us???

And he says, well, you remember my phone? That Motorola I had back then?

Yeah, I guess.

It sure was a chick magnet, da?

I suppose...

But I was, he says, always scared some of the thugs at the school will rob it from me.

Aha...

So, I made friends with you guys.

Because we were thugs also and you figured we would keep the other thugs away from you, huh?

Yes... Worked, didn't it.

:D

Crafty son of a bitch... He did a lot for us though, he did. Even hid me at that dacha of theirs when the cops were briefly after me for some personal shit (drunk dirty cop was beating up my friend from school, I saw it, and threw a brick at him... That's how I rolled, in my youthful days haha)

That's how it was back then. All the kids in Moscow schools now, playing around with their gadgets today, would never get it hehe

Jul 2011
Tennessee
If I were a teacher, this would be my policy.

You are allowed to have your phone/pad with you while you are in the class I'm teaching.

You are to have them by turned off and are NOT allowed to use them while in the class I'm teaching.

If you are caught using them, you will be sent to the office and your parents will be called.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
valid location
If I were a teacher, this would be my policy.

You are allowed to have your phone/pad with you while you are in the class I'm teaching.

You are to have them by turned off and are NOT allowed to use them while in the class I'm teaching.

If you are caught using them, you will be sent to the office and your parents will be called.
It's great except for the first clause in that last sentence. Gotta handle discipline yourself. Principals don't like students showing up in the office--makes it look like you can't do your job. YOU can call parents. You can even hold a kid for detention (usually, though not the same day). Sending kids to the office for behavior that happens in your classroom? Bad idea. No one should be making more work for the boss.

Best idea I ever saw for this was the HS teacher who hung a curtain on the wall; the curtain had 35 numbered pockets, each big enough for a cell phone. Each kid was assigned a number. They put their phones in the appropriate pocket at the beginning of class and removed them after the bell rang. Easy peasy.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
People treat their phones like baby soothers.

I see lots of walking ZOMBIES now days. Heads down, phone in hand, oblivious of their surroundings

No excuse for stupidity.

Ever watch people together in a restaurant, phones in hand? They ignore each other.

SAD
It can be sad.

I've also sat in a restaurant before playing Scrabble on my phone against my wife as I laugh with and talk to her while she's right across the table from me. Then I secretly texted my son to steal a French fry off her plate and hand it to me.

"Daddy told me too!"

"What? Me? I didn't say a word!"

Feb 2019
Next Airport
It can be sad.

I've also sat in a restaurant before playing Scrabble on my phone against my wife as I laugh with and talk to her while she's right across the table from me. Then I secretly texted my son to steal a French fry off her plate and hand it to me.

"Daddy told me too!"

"What? Me? I didn't say a word!"
Have you ever tried a meal as a family without a phone in hand? You could bond, find out how their day went, or just talk instead?

And interesting concept that people did before cell phones. You can text anytime but remember your family. Above all you can't bond on a phone.

Nov 2016
USA
I know. One of our neighbors was outraged because she wanted to know what her kid wanted for dinner while she was at the market. He had been caught with his phone at an assembly and the principal took it from him so he couldnt respond. She went to school and tore them apart. The kid is 8. I cant even begin to imagine my parents back in the day calling me during class and wanting to know what I wanted for dinner. We didnt get a choice, we ate what was served. lol
Those parents are sending a message to their kids that education isn’t really important.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
Have you ever tried a meal as a family without a phone in hand? You could bond, find out how their day went, or just talk instead?

And interesting concept that people did before cell phones. You can text anytime but remember your family. Above all you can't bond on a phone.
All the time. I was just relaying one example of one time that we had fun, talked and bonded as a family in person while also using a phone. A phone is just an object. People need to stop assigning it magical powers. It's the context of it's use that matters.

Families that want to bond together can do so in spite of or even with phones. Families that are supposedly broken up by phone use have broken up for other underlying reasons.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Wow. First, the only thing I'd say to such a parent is "This is not your business. Your child is an adult. Get out of my face now or I'm calling security." A college instructor never has to deal with a parent (maybe at a private school, but never at a public CC or university).

Second, I think the instructor could get into trouble with the law. Adults can't go around taking the property of other adults. There are laws against that.

Third, I have a note in all my syllabi that prohibit the use of electronic devices other than for class work. I don't let students "take notes" on their phones. If someone were to repeatedly violate a syllabus rule like that, one might kick them out of class...but taking the phone? Bad idea.
Whats really sad is this has now moved into the workplace. Where my daughter works, they had to crack down on the use of cellphones. Browsing the internet/shopping etc used to be a big problem but her company stopped that with some sort of software on the computers. Now they are all on their cellphones. Her boss actually fired one of the scientists because he was on it during an important meeting with a European client. The client said something to the effect "arent I interesting enough?" They were mortified. Afterwards the boss said "that better have been life threatening." He admitted he was texting the garage to see if his car was done. That was it, he was fired on the spot.