Ontario wants to ban phones in the classroom

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Second, I think the instructor could get into trouble with the law. Adults can't go around taking the property of other adults. There are laws against that.
Judges, at least around here, threaten to take people's phones if the ringer is not shut off (though I'm sure they are returned later). Attorneys get to keep them running for work purposes, but ringer has to still be entirely shut off. I've never seen it actually done, but I've heard it threatened.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
valid location
Judges, at least around here, threaten to take people's phones if the ringer is not shut off (though I'm sure they are returned later). Attorneys get to keep them running for work purposes, but ringer has to still be entirely shut off. I've never seen it actually done, but I've heard it threatened.
Sounds like a good plan, but judges in their own courtrooms can demand all sorts of things that teachers have no authority to do.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Some of my kids' teachers have one of these hanging in their classrooms. When the students walk in, it's their responsibility to silence their phones, drop them in one of the numbered pockets, and take their seats. When they leave they pick it up again. If you get caught with the phone in your possession during class, it's confiscated until a parent collects it.

Given the low cost, it's not a bad solution.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
The other thing about smartphones is it isnt just the secret texting but its also kids are cheating using them. During SAT or standardized tests they wont even let them in the same room. One teacher called them "cheating devices" since they are so good at hiding it.

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
My brother (a high school teacher) used to have a cellphone jamming device that would knock out all cell connectivity in the immediate area. I urged him to get rid of it when I pointed out that using such a device is a felony, and he's working with teenaged students, many of whom would jump at the chance to see their teacher arrested.

Jul 2011
NYC
My kids school banned them, We informed them that our son will have one on him at all times and is not allowed to take it out. We feel as parents its our right to use technology to be able to reach and track our kids.

Jul 2011
NYC
My brother (a high school teacher) used to have a cellphone jamming device that would knock out all cell connectivity in the immediate area. I urged him to get rid of it when I pointed out that using such a device is a felony, and he's working with teenaged students, many of whom would jump at the chance to see their teacher arrested.

Interesting enough, (and sorry for the digression), it is legal to jam police laser radar because it's not radio waves and not covered... So if you jam radio signals, big hefty fine, but cool on jamming or confusing laser.