Our Unconscious Sexism

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Criticism here directed at Rep. Waters has bothered me, but as I have been a long-term critic of the lady, that was confusing to me.

It's my opinion we don't restrain ourselves (liberals, conservatives and independents) when criticizing a female politician as to her appearance. I think we do understand this is largely unimportant as to male politicians.

Yeah, we have all said harsh things about Trump's looks, but mainly for his weird hair and strange skin color. It's indicative of his vanity and his tone deafness as to how others perceive him.

Do you agree?

Reactions: 1 person
Nov 2015
UK
Unconscious sexism? I would say that the greater someone criticises someone's appearance, the more insucure they are with their vanity.

Wonderer

May 2014
Missouri
And Obama’s ears and GW’s chimpishness and Ted Cruz’s likeness to Grandpa Munster and Marco Rubio’s height and Rand Paul’s hair and Steve Bannon’s frumpy drunk look and Dennis Kucinich’s Marvin the Martian look and Mitch McConnell’s turtleishness?

Nah. We poke at people’s looks whether they’re male or female. I believe we’re more sensitive to digs at women and more likely to PERCEIVE them as sexist even though we never consider those directed at men as sexist.

Reactions: 12 people
Jul 2017
U.S.A.
And Obama’s ears and GW’s chimpishness and Ted Cruz’s likeness to Grandpa Munster and Marco Rubio’s height and Rand Paul’s hair and Steve Bannon’s frumpy drunk look and Dennis Kucinich’s Marvin the Martian look and Mitch McConnell’s turtleishness?

Nah. We poke at people’s looks whether they’re male or female. I believe we’re more sensitive to digs at women and more likely to PERCEIVE them as sexist even though we never consider those directed at men as sexist.
Lots of people liken MConnell to a turtle.
I see scrotum.

Jets

Feb 2011
New York

Cannot leave out Chris Christie...

Reactions: 2 people
Apr 2012
East coast USA
Unconscious sexism ?
Might it be the unconscious domininance ?
Men feel it, women subject to it. We are human animals.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Unconscious sexism? I would say that the greater someone criticises someone's appearance, the more insucure they are with their vanity.
I'm not sure being secure with one's vanity is desirable, anymore than secure with one's greed would be.

If you meant "secure about your physical appearance", humm. Not sure that is evidenced by refraining from comment on the peculiarities of Trump's oddball grooming.

Rasselas

Feb 2010
USA
Criticism here directed at Rep. Waters has bothered me, but as I have been a long-term critic of the lady, that was confusing to me.

It's my opinion we don't restrain ourselves (liberals, conservatives and independents) when criticizing a female politician as to her appearance. I think we do understand this is largely unimportant as to male politicians.

Yeah, we have all said harsh things about Trump's looks, but mainly for his weird hair and strange skin color. It's indicative of his vanity and his tone deafness as to how others perceive him.

Do you agree?
I think a politician's appearance is unimportant, but that doesn't stop us from voting mostly for whichever candidate is taller or better looking. Blake Farenthold is fat and ugly.

How is making fun of someone's weird hair or strange skin color different from whatever other physical features we criticize?

Reactions: 2 people