Ovechkin brutally KOs Hurricanes' rookie Svechnikov

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Damn! Russian vs. Russian, 33 year old Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals showing 19 year old Andrei Svechnikov of the Carolina Hurricanes who is still top dog lol

FWIW, the young one did good for a bit too, landed several solid hits on Ovechkin, but that dude just had that one big mighty right hook, and that was all he needed
:D

This is why I love hockey, right here lol Who needs UFC ;)

Carolina won 5-0, btw: Ovechkin knocks out Hurricanes rookie Svechnikov in Game 3 fight

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Holy shit. What a punch. That's not even funny, that could kill someone.

Just watching Brindamour's post game interview. And Ovie's. Saying the kid has played 90 games and never been in a fight in his life. Ovie saying "he challenged me".

Ovechkin is just a beast. Heart of gold but man - he's gotta be one of the strongest men in the league. A 19 year old? Damn.

Last edited:

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Holy shit. What a punch. That's not even funny, that could kill someone.

Just watching Brindamour's post game interview. And Ovie's. Saying the kid has played 90 games and never been in a fight in his life. Ovie saying "he challenged me".

Ovechkin is just a beast. Heart of gold but man - he's gotta be one of the strongest men in the league. A 19 year old? Damn.
I don't get it either. Maybe Svechnikov just wanted to get his name out there that badly...

Ovechkin is also kinda controversial back in Russia, you know.

Lots of people love him, for sure, they were extatic when the Ovechkin-led (and full of other Russians) Washington Capitals won the Stanley Cup last year, and Ovechkin brought the Cup to Moscow to show it off (and couple other Russian players also later took it to own hometowns as well, pretty it was first time the Cup had ever visited Siberia lmao)

But, not everyone likes how close he is with Putin

His social media is full of praise for the guy

He even founded the pro-Putin movement among Russian athletes: NHL star Alex Ovechkin launches ‘Putin Team’ in new online ‘social movement’

Not all Russian players in the NHL share this view. Malkin is a member of "Putin Team" also; but other, lesser known perhaps, yes, ones have spoken out in opposition to this too, I've seen, in Russian media, interviews with players who supported the recent mass protests in Moscow against pension age hikes etc...

I am not saying this fight was over politics. Not likely. But, anything is possible lol

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Crosby has fought. Not often, because that's a 5 minute trade any team would happily take. But he's done it.

But I don't think most players of that elite calibre have the pure strength to totally lay a grown man out like that.

Kessel maybe.

I'm just trying to imagine taking that punch. The last one. I can't. I can't imagine that.

I've only been punched in the head with head gear and gloves on. And that was by soft little kittens like myself.

I can't imagine a blow like that.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Ovechkin certainly knows how to punch...

He is friends with lots of famous Russian MMA fighters, like the UFC Champion Khabib Nurmagomedov

lol

He trains and spars with such guys.

If Svechnikov indeed challenged him first, I don't know what the hell he was thinking...

And if it was other way around, and he, Ovechkin, went after the younger guy for no reason, that's just disgraceful IMHO

Just him dishonoring himself...

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
Crosby has fought. Not often, because that's a 5 minute trade any team would happily take. But he's done it.

But I don't think most players of that elite calibre have the pure strength to totally lay a grown man out like that.

Kessel maybe.

I'm just trying to imagine taking that punch. The last one. I can't. I can't imagine that.

I've only been punched in the head with head gear and gloves on. And that was by soft little kittens like myself.

I can't imagine a blow like that.

Crosby is a bitch