Over 40% of Americans Say No to Flu Vaccinations

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I have not gotten it this year yet, but probably tomorrow morning when I go in for my regular blood draw. The VA sets up in the main lobby, and I always get the shot there. Once I got the flu after having had the shot, but that's it. I approve of vaccinations.

Dec 2014
27.4698° S, 153.0251° E
I have not gotten it this year yet, but probably tomorrow morning when I go in for my regular blood draw. The VA sets up in the main lobby, and I always get the shot there. Once I got the flu after having had the shot, but that's it. I approve of vaccinations.

A doctor once told me that if one gets it after the shot, one already had it.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
"Past exposure to vaccines against diphtheria or tetanus, poliomyelitis and influenza may protect against subsequent development of Alzheimer's disease."

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Good to know you read till you see what you want and then stop...
I did no such thing. I merely quoted the Interpretation (i.e., conclusion) from the abstract. However...

"According to this analysis of data from a large-scale longitudinal study of elderly Canadians, vaccination against diphtheria or tetanus, poliomyelitis or influenza was associated with lower risk for Alzheimer's disease than no vaccination."

This is the Interpretation later on, after the longer discussion of the methodology, analysis and results.

Which part were you looking at?

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
I did no such thing. I merely quoted the Interpretation (i.e., conclusion) from the abstract. However...

"According to this analysis of data from a large-scale longitudinal study of elderly Canadians, vaccination against diphtheria or tetanus, poliomyelitis or influenza was associated with lower risk for Alzheimer's disease than no vaccination."

This is the Interpretation later on, after the longer discussion of the methodology, analysis and results.

Which part were you looking at?
It reminds me of how aspartame was deemed safe, after a few failures, they published the study minus the test monkeys that died, and they were within the threshold of safe and it was approved.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
It reminds me of how aspartame was deemed safe, after a few failures, they published the study minus the test monkeys that died, and they were within the threshold of safe and it was approved.
That does not answer the question.

One

Former Staff
Dec 2006
----> X <----
FOX 2) - Have you gotten your flu shot this year?

If the answer is no - and I'm not getting one! - you're not alone. A new study finds more than 40 percent of Americans have not been vaccinated and, in fact, don't plan on it either.

This is despite the warnings, potential dangers, and last year's record-number of flu deaths. The survey was done by the National Opinion Research Center at the University of Chicago.

People under the age of 45 were the least likely to report being vaccinated.

The top three reasons why they didn't want the shot were: bad side effects; thinking they'll get the flu from the shot; or thinking it doesn't work.

Some think the side effects are worse than the flu itself, but that's just a myth. Usually the only side effect is a sore arm.

It's also a myth that getting the vaccine gives you the flu. The flu vaccine is inactive and cannot cause the infection. If you do get sick after getting the vaccine, it's just a coincidence.

Over 40 percent of Americans say no to flu vaccinations

Did you get your Flu Vac this year?

If not, do you fall in one of the top three reasons why?
I've never had a flu shot. Not because I'm afraid of possible side effects. It's just that I haven't had the flu since I was a child, and now I'm in my mid 50s.