Oxford U. Bans Clapping as Triggering Anxiety

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio

From the article, in part:

"England's historic University of Oxford has instituted a ban on clapping during "Student Council meetings and other official SU events,"citing the potential anxiety-triggering nature of the loud sound of applause.

An official statement from the Student Council at Oxford announced the intention to request that students opt for the British Sign Language "silent jazz hands" instead of loud clapping as it may not be an "inclusive" behavior. The statement noted that applause could cause discomfort for students at the university that were dealing with "anxiety disorders, sensory sensitivity, and/or those who use hearing impairment aids."

Oxford, which has been in continual operation as an institute of higher learning since at least AD 1096, became the second major university in England to reject clapping in favor of jazz hands. The University of Manchester adopted the same rule in 2018, an act the Oxford student union praised in their statement. The Student Union says they will mandate that Sabbatical Officers of the school encourage the use of jazz hands and further requests that the SOs "lobby the University" to enact jazz hands at all school functions."

I am gobsmacked. GOBSMACKED!

Discuss!

Dec 2015
SoCal

"England's historic University of Oxford has instituted a ban on clapping during "Student Council meetings and other official SU events,"citing the potential anxiety-triggering nature of the loud sound of applause.

An official statement from the Student Council at Oxford announced the intention to request that students opt for the British Sign Language "silent jazz hands" instead of loud clapping as it may not be an "inclusive" behavior. The statement noted that applause could cause discomfort for students at the university that were dealing with "anxiety disorders, sensory sensitivity, and/or those who use hearing impairment aids."

Oxford, which has been in continual operation as an institute of higher learning since at least AD 1096, became the second major university in England to reject clapping in favor of jazz hands. The University of Manchester adopted the same rule in 2018, an act the Oxford student union praised in their statement. The Student Union says they will mandate that Sabbatical Officers of the school encourage the use of jazz hands and further requests that the SOs "lobby the University" to enact jazz hands at all school functions."

Discuss!
In short, Oxford University did not “ban clapping,” nor did it acquiesce to “demands” made by “snowflakes.” Oxford’s student union voted to encourage the use of British Sign Language for applause so that students could more fully participate in ceremonies, but clapping and cheering have not been banned.

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
From the best university IN THE WORLD!
It's not the university that's done this - it's the student council. This is a group elected from amongst the students to represent them, and runs various things related to the organised social life of the students. And they didn't ban anything. They just said sabbatical officers (again, students elected by other students) have to encourage silent clapping.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
In short, Oxford University did not “ban clapping,” nor did it acquiesce to “demands” made by “snowflakes.” Oxford’s student union voted to encourage the use of British Sign Language for applause so that students could more fully participate in ceremonies, but clapping and cheering have not been banned.

Jeeze, if I can't trust the Washington Examiner, who can I trust?

Thanks for the correction!

Reactions: BitterPill
Sep 2016
My own world

Discuss!
This story would be funny if it wasn't true. Oh wait, it's not true in that case I get to lol.

Reactions: Madeline