Paid family leave

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
everyone is allowed (i think) medical leave.

pretty sure not everyone is eligible for baby leave.
Everyone with a medical condition is allowed medical leave just as everyone with a baby is allowed "baby leave".

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
I don't see this as unfair to people who don't have children.

This is simply for people who do. And just because they get special rules doesn't make it unfair. Your situations are totally different.

Feb 2015
sadness
I think people eventually grow out of worrying about what another person gets over another person when they begin to grow professionally. Women make up 55% of the work force now....and they also have the role of sustaining the human race. The Family Leave Act is not about vacations and neither will this new bill if it passes. You have to state the reason you are taking the time and some actually get denied. I had to use the Family Leave Act when my Mom was dying.....trust me, it was far from a vacation. It is also not a vacation to recover from a surgery or adjust to being a new parent.

When my HS students start whining about preferential treatment, I tell them..."Your time will come when you need something"
its not about worring about what other people get or dont get. It is about being fair to all of your employees. Do you deny a childless person the same time off?

Reactions: Nicnam
Jun 2014
United States
If your insurance is through your employer....mostly likely you can still see the same doctor. If you had insurance through the exchanges, it is a good possibility you would have to change doctors because many doctors do not accept insurances through the exchanges. My physician is through one of the large integrated medical systems locally and there is a big sign that states that insurance through Obamacare is not accepted.

Frankly, I don't believe that. A Blue Cross policy purchased on an exchange is private insurance, just like a policy purchased via an employee group There really is no such thing as "Obamacare". That's just a RWNJ talking point.

TNVolunteer73

Former Staff
Nov 2014
TN
Gone for cheaper labor and where it can rape the environment more easily.

Strange since Trump"s economy, those jobs came back to the US and waved his magic wand, They have come back almost 1,000,000 new manufacturing jobs in the Auto, Steel, included. On top of that the jobs Obama, 45% were part time, Jobs created under Trumps economy have been 80-90% full time.. that is why the U3 U6 unemployment gap has narrowed...

I guess Trump's Wand is just Bigger and more Firmly based in Reality than Obama's Wand.

wow, TRUMP THE MAGIC CAUCASIAN.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
Frankly, I don't believe that. A Blue Cross policy purchased on an exchange is private insurance, just like a policy purchased via an employee group There really is no such thing as "Obamacare". That's just a RWNJ talking point.
I am sure you have a hard time believing that providers do not accept the exchange insurances but it is true. Not all States are the same. Obamacare, at least in the healthcare industry is referred to the exchanges. They suck. Did you play around with your State exchanges to see what your premiums would be if you lost your employer insurance or Medicare...whichever it may be. I suggest you do that. I do it every open enrollment just to see how awful those insurances are. Democrats have a hard time believing that the ACA is flawed and really don't care about whether it impacts anyone or not. The typical LWNJ talking point....."It is so great and everyone loves it" This translates into...."Who cares that the middle class is not included in this wonderful, affordable insurance, they will all be gone soon and we won't have to worry about them because they suck" :) The ACA was the biggest disappointment in my life. I had much higher expectations about this program. I voted for Obama the first time around for the ACA and voted for him again because I thought he would listen to the problems and fix it. No one fixed it. We could have expanded Medicaid eligibility, offered a public option and passed the pre-existing condition clause and it would have been better.

Sorry, We Don’t Take Obamacare