Parents Warned - Children To Foster Care Over Unpaid Lunches

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
Parents warned their children could be put in foster care over school-lunch debt

In one letter shared on social media and obtained by NBC affiliate WBRE, the parents are informed that their child has a balance of $75.25 and if they do not pay it, the parents could be reported to Luzerne County dependency court.

"Your child has been sent to school every day without money and without breakfast and/or lunch. This is a failure to provide your child with proper nutrition and you can be sent to Dependency Court for neglecting your child's right to food," the July 9 letter reads.

A letter from the Luzerne County school district demanded parents pay delinquent lunch bills for their children or face the risk of having their children placed in foster care.WBRE
If the parent is taken to court, they risk their child being removed "and placed in foster care," according to the letter.
Local children and youth services state clearly they do not remove children from homes over unpaid bills.

The school is trying to collect a $20,000 debt.

Not all debt is caused by those who accrue it, but I'd suggest they stop giving out free lunch money, because this debt is partially their own fault.

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
This is an atrocity. We do not arrest, remove or confine anyone in this country to collect debts. Threatening to do so is an illegal outrage.

If the school district is so desperate for funding that it is resorting to these tactics to collect debts, that's the district's problem.

I suspect that things are not that dire, this is just some punk administrator who doesn't understand or doesn't care to understand the law.

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
I would suggest that the school district start raising money by whatever means to put into a school lunch program whereby children that cannot pay for their meals can use money from there to pay for it. That way there would not be any need for bad blood between the district and children and their parents. Having money like that saved up in a school lunch account for those children that can't always pay for their lunch is like insurance for such a basic need as food for the children.

Aug 2016
CA
This is an atrocity. We do not arrest, remove or confine anyone in this country to collect debts. Threatening to do so is an illegal outrage.

If the school district is so desperate for funding that it is resorting to these tactics to collect debts, that's the district's problem.

I suspect that things are not that dire, this is just some punk administrator who doesn't understand or doesn't care to understand the law.
LOL! Tell that to the IRS!

Jul 2018
North Carolina
Our local school system here in Western NC provides kids with a PBJ sandwich w/milk until the bill is paid up.

I get the schools need to get paid, and the parents should pay up. However, threatening parents with this crap is bull****. I think some if not most parents have forgotten to pay for their child’s school breakfast and/or lunch at one time or another. S*** happens and people forget sometimes. I have TBH. Granted not $75, but still a really bad move on the schools part.

Reactions: johnflesh
Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
Parents warned their children could be put in foster care over school-lunch debt

Local children and youth services state clearly they do not remove children from homes over unpaid bills.

The school is trying to collect a $20,000 debt.

Not all debt is caused by those who accrue it, but I'd suggest they stop giving out free lunch money, because this debt is partially their own fault.
There is no money in this country for hungry kids, this is Trumps America, your America.

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
There is no money in this country for hungry kids, this is Trumps America, your America.
It's amazing how he CAN find money to help give the rich tax cuts though isn't it? But when it comes to money for kid's lunches, well, that's a horse of a different color that he could care less about. Shameful!

Reactions: HenryPorter