Paul Ryan, Mitch Daniels, Karl Rove, Mitt Romney - et tu, Brute???!!!???

Jun 2011
N/A
On the same day, 2 Republicans with high name recognition have come in against Perry on SS:

Rick Perry: Social Security is a Ponzi scheme. Time for "provocative language".

[video=youtube;xjMvnXUe9d8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjMvnXUe9d8[/video]

Paul Ryan: errr, no, not really. " It’s not the word I would choose to describe it."
[video=youtube;-Zo8H9ewYus]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-Zo8H9ewYus[/video]

Source: Think Progress

Mitch Daniels: err, no not really.

"REHM: But you agreed with [Perry]. You called it a “Ponzi scheme” as well.DANIELS: Well, I said that’s a place to start. But again, people of every persuasion have used that — maybe it’s too casual an allusion. [...] REHM: It sure is!
REHM: To use that word signals that it is fraudulent and it’s not fraudulent.
DANIELS: Well, you know, I’ll be careful not use it again."

[video=youtube;thvoE1rOwkI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=thvoE1rOwkI[/video]

Source: Think Progress

This on top of the Politico story about the Florida GOP getting worried about the Social Security issue...

And Romney and Rove both calling Perry unelectable over this.

"Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and other ranking Republicans have started making the argument that Texas Gov. Rick Perry can't beat President Obama.

"Gov. Perry in his book says Social Security has been forced on us and by no measure is Social Security anything but a failure," Romney told Sean Hannity on his show last week. "If we nominate someone who the Democrats can correctly characterize as being opposed to Social Security, we will be obliterated as a party."...

...Rove called Perry's stance on Social Security "toxic in a general election" on
Good Morning America. "… (Republicans) could blow it by having a candidate who could not appeal to the swing voters in this election, who are, who are conservative-minded independents, Latinos, white working class voters, the same kind of people that gave us a huge margin in the 2010 congressional election."

What is happening here?

I will tell you what is happening. The GOP is pushing the panic button because it knows it screwed up BIG TIME on the issue of entitlements like SS, Medicare and Medicaid.

We will be seeing a large number of GOP luminaries coming forth and admitting that Social Security is NOT, I repeat, is NOT a Ponzi-scheme, regardless of Rick Perry's constant lying about this.

------------------------------------------

Oh, and Mitt's words reminded me of another well-known Republican :) :

"Now it is true that I believe this country is following a dangerous trend when it permits too great a degree of centralization of governmental functions. I oppose this--in some instances the fight is a rather desperate one. But to attain any success it is quite clear that the Federal government cannot avoid or escape responsibilities which the mass of the people firmly believe should be undertaken by it. The political processes of our country are such that if a rule of reason is not applied in this effort, we will lose everything--even to a possible and drastic change in the Constitution. This is what I mean by my constant insistence upon "moderation" in government. Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. "

-Dwight D. Eisenhower, Nov. 8, 1954, in a letter to his brother Edgar Newton Eisenhower.

In this letter, he also wrote something almost prophetic about the Tea Party of today:

"Incidentally, I notice that everybody seems to be a great Constitutionalist until his idea of what the Constitution ought to do is violated--then he suddenly becomes very strong for amendments or some peculiar and individualistic interpretation of his own."

ahem, cough, cough...

Last edited:

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
Perry doesn't get much right, but SS is the epitome of a Ponzi, hell the T-Bill is, everything the government runs is.