Pelosi Begs Progressives Not to Criticise "Centrists" in Public

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Pretty sure Pelosi's job is to get whoever the nominee is elected as POTUS

Nothing more important than that.

And if people like AOC don't realize that, then maybe they should not be in politics.
Says you.

I do not agree.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Depends on what their centrism consists of. In my view, anyway.

Sherrod Brown is someone who is good at representing a red state while not sacrificing his progressive principles and people here respect that. All centrists aren't bad. Rand Paul is another example of people crossing the aisle on principle. I think it's commendable if someone rejects their party's status quo if they're taking the side of their constituents, the side of civil rights or constitutionality. I've heard many people, including conservatives on this board, praise Dennis Kuchinich for being a principled person even though they disagreed with much of his ideology.

We need to redefine centrism to mean something besides caving in to special interests and selling out to party politics.
Sherrod Brown (my senator) has never abandoned blue collar workers or environmental protection. He's a gem.

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
I've Got Nowhere Else to Go
Seeing as how Nancy Pelosi's favorable/unfavorable is 36 to 50, I can see where she might wanna tap out of that particular cage match.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
I love how liberals extremist have hijacked the term "progressive". Hillary Clinton was a progressive. So is Joe Biden. Bernie Sanders is an extremist. AOC same difference. That said. Pelosi is just doing her job. She's the one that's going to be blamed if Trump is reelected and/or Republican's take back the House. Messaging is pretty SOP.
I was thinking about that recently. Whats the difference technically? I always felt there were liberals who could be centrists or a bit left and then progressives who were the far left. Those were terms bantered around with McGovern. Never did I think of Bill Clinton, Obama, Biden as progressives. They were liberals, I dont think they ever even campaigned as progressives. Thats a recent thing to show the young they are "left enough."

Reactions: skirby54
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Pretty sure Pelosi's job is to get whoever the nominee is elected as POTUS

Nothing more important than that.

And if people like AOC don't realize that, then maybe they should not be in politics.
Pundits were discussing this earlier today on the news. Saying AOC never has to worry because she is in a very safe D district. Pelosi is fighting for Katie Hill, Abigail Spanberger etc who won in red areas. They stand to lose if the Ds go too far left. Voters are educated whites in these areas and republican and independents. These seats arent safe by a long shot. Pelosi has to keep the party even keeled so they can win re-election and thus the Ds keep the House. A party led by far left progressives turns these districts off and the Rs can win back the House. I think many of these younger members dont understand that, they think everyone is moving left. But it isnt true.

Reactions: skirby54
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Sherrod Brown (my senator) has never abandoned blue collar workers or environmental protection. He's a gem.
But he is a throwback to the old days of democrats. Ones that supported unions, blue collar workers etc. You dont see him out at wealthy bashes or corporate fundraisers. He also was one of the few Ds out there running against NAFTA and the TPP. He also supported tariffs. Those are old school democrats and there arent many of them anymore. I was raised in a family of union working democrats. The party is now very pro trade and are looking for the white collar college educated vote.

Reactions: Madeline
Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
These far left radicals need to STFU, nothing worse than losing the House, the Senate and the Presidency because your platform is not in alignment with a majority of the voters.
McGovern, Mondale and Dukakis come to mind. Been there, done that, and it sucked and let right wing supply side "billionaire aggrandizement" economics take over the country.
Just what we need another shit ton of Federalist hand picked judges and more authoritarian social and economic policies and a full court press against science. Democrats need to get their shit together and come out with a liberal centrist platform that can garner the votes of the working and middle class. Forget the far left Medicare for all, free college, reparations, and a radical environmental policy that seriously scares the shit out of the regular people in this country. All of those may be possible in the future, but they are not right now and whoever runs on them will be sitting on their ass at home after the election.

Reactions: Panzareta

highway234

Former Staff
Feb 2010
I've Got Nowhere Else to Go
These far left radicals need to STFU, nothing worse than losing the House, the Senate and the Presidency because your platform is not in alignment with a majority of the voters.
no, we just need to leave your shitty corrupt party.