Penn on Obama's Servants

Blah

Former Staff
Jan 2007
USA
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdf4uYnMmkg&feature=fvw[/media]

I think he sums it up best near the end when he finally just says "FUCK".

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
Meh...The biggest problem with the "offending" video is its sappiness. Just because two people pledge to be a servent FOR Barack Obama, what's the big deal?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0eV44rEtBo&feature=related[/media]

But I'm glad wingnut "parents are upset" about pledging to fight pollution and end slavery. That's great PR.

Blah

Former Staff
Jan 2007
USA
[quote name='Davocrat' date='05 September 2009 - 10:11 PM' timestamp='1252213913' post='17349']

Meh...The biggest problem with the "offending" video is its sappiness. Just because two people pledge to be a servent FOR Barack Obama, what's the big deal?[/quote]

This particularly illustrative pledge in the video is by "just two people", the sentiment and mentality

can be seen gaining ground in many forms.

But I'm glad wingnut "parents are upset" about pledging to fight pollution and end slavery. That's great PR.

That's just disingenuous. Most of the parents are upset about the White House reaching into the

classroom and setting up lesson plans that motivate support for Obama.

The problem with your examinations of social behavior is you always inject partisan motivation.

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
[quote name='Davocrat' date='06 September 2009 - 01:11 AM' timestamp='1252213913' post='17349']Meh...The biggest problem with the "offending" video is its sappiness. Just because two people pledge to be a servent FOR Barack Obama, what's the big deal?But I'm glad wingnut "parents are upset" about pledging to fight pollution and end slavery. That's great PR.[/quote]

The video is like subliminal advertising. It trundles along with hallmark card platitudes, then slips in signature left wing branded issues as though it's all the same and normal and what we should all be doing. I didn't see anyone pledging to hire anyone or increase sales or find ways to make their businesses more successful. Parents are upset because it encroaches on their view of the world, which is like this:

Stop whining and get to work.

At the same time, the "I pledge video" has hints of that same quasi-religious view of Obama that helps to sell his message.

Unfortunately for him, we're past the campaign mode now. He has to give the American citizen specifics, a rationale for his policies, a vision with tactical guts and logic. He has to make decisions that make sense, ignore his support mechanisms and lead. I don't see any of this happening.

I want Obama to explain how his policies are supposed to work. I want to understand the principles, not hear gauzy platitudes.

Jan 2008
Vertiform City
[quote name='kmiller1610' date='06 September 2009 - 04:00 AM' timestamp='1252224011' post='17375']

I want Obama to explain how his policies are supposed to work. I want to understand the principles, not hear gauzy platitudes.

[/quote]

Yes. That. Exactly!

anonymous

Former Staff
Jun 2008
Passing Through
[quote name='kmiller1610' date='06 September 2009 - 04:00 AM' timestamp='1252224011' post='17375']

The video is like subliminal advertising. It trundles along with hallmark card platitudes, then slips in signature left wing branded issues as though it's all the same and normal and what we should all be doing. I didn't see anyone pledging to hire anyone or increase sales or find ways to make their businesses more successful. Parents are upset because it encroaches on their view of the world, which is like this:

Stop whining and get to work.

At the same time, the "I pledge video" has hints of that same quasi-religious view of Obama that helps to sell his message.

Unfortunately for him, we're past the campaign mode now. He has to give the American citizen specifics, a rationale for his policies, a vision with tactical guts and logic. He has to make decisions that make sense, ignore his support mechanisms and lead. I don't see any of this happening.

[/quote]

So would a lot of other people, myself included. I am afraid that he understands all to well that he has forsaken his constituents for the oligarchy and therefore can not offer up any reasonable explanation as to why he has favored the bankers instead of standing up for the people and doing what is best for them, in the long run. Let us pray that he will come to his senses and change the course they have laid out for him and strike a new path, one that will set him apart from all that came before.

Sep 2007
the state of confusion
[quote name='Davocrat' date='05 September 2009 - 11:11 PM' timestamp='1252213913' post='17349']

Meh...The biggest problem with the "offending" video is its sappiness. Just because two people pledge to be a servent FOR Barack Obama, what's the big deal?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0eV44rEtBo&feature=related[/media]

[/quote]

ummm... I didn't know we still had slavery in this country.... unless you mean by that .. that we are slaves to the fed through the IRS

other than that .. you make a lot of sense

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State

Stop whining and get to work...

[/quote]

Ah, this is classic. Old school left versus right, Spy vs. Spy, Archie versus Meathead...I love it.

Guess who wins.

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
[quote name='wingrider' date='06 September 2009 - 09:41 AM' timestamp='1252244485' post='17404']

ummm... I didn't know we still had slavery in this country.... unless you mean by that .. that we are slaves to the fed through the IRS

other than that .. you make a lot of sense

[/quote]

We live in a country which is on a continent on this thing called a "world." We do business with people all over the world. In fact, a nice lady from Bangalore calls me from time to time asking if I'll please pay may American Express bill.

Slavery is a global issue. Like it or not, BUSINESS (you know business, right, that thing you love so much?) is a global proposition. Ending slavery has a much practical benefit as altruistic.

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State

[/quote]

You could take your complaint to Demi Moore, K, since she produced this in January.

But as astute and pragmatic as you are, K, you should probably just watch Obama's weekly addresses. You can see them on YouTube and that's all Obama's own content. Also, on the Web you can find most of the President's policies spelled out in press releases.

Hope this helps!