Penney's is a penny stock as of today

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
J.C. Penney stock price dips below $1 a share Thursday

Sort of funny but really kind of sad at the same time.

People of my generation probably remember when you were a kid and your mom had a Penney's credit card (in your dad's name of course because wives weren't allowed their own credit prior to 1974) and she'd take you shopping for school clothes. Then you'd go to the diner and have a chicken sandwich.

And the clothes were what your mom wanted you to wear, not what you wanted to wear.

So long, Penney's. Enjoy your retirement.

Jul 2014
midwest
Sears is still open, too, allegedly.

For how long is anyones guess.

Local radio guy said "Sears is still open and the government is still closed" over the weekend.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Penneys and Sears both fell victim to the same things. Trying to be hip like the boutique stores in the mall. Neither ever were like that prior. Both were where you went to get that suit, white blouse, black dress and great linens. They were reliable stores where you could run in and get those necessary things. Then they decided they would go modern or hip and started selling the same crap you could get elsewhere in the mall. The quality went down and for Sears, Craftsman tools became made in China, same as the ones in Home Depot and Lowes. They just became unnecessary anymore. Sad actually. We have a "Sears Craftsman" home in our town, apparently back in the 30s one could order it from the catalog and assemble it. Its a neat little box house.

Dec 2018
Florida
Penneys and Sears both fell victim to the same things. Trying to be hip like the boutique stores in the mall. Neither ever were like that prior. Both were where you went to get that suit, white blouse, black dress and great linens. They were reliable stores where you could run in and get those necessary things. Then they decided they would go modern or hip and started selling the same crap you could get elsewhere in the mall. The quality went down and for Sears, Craftsman tools became made in China, same as the ones in Home Depot and Lowes. They just became unnecessary anymore. Sad actually. We have a "Sears Craftsman" home in our town, apparently back in the 30s one could order it from the catalog and assemble it. Its a neat little box house.
Probably should have sold guns and automotive parts. Put a focus on online retailing with local shipping and pick up when possible.

Sep 2011
aMEEErica

People of my generation probably remember when you were a kid and your mom had a Penney's credit card (in your dad's name of course because wives weren't allowed their own credit prior to 1974) and she'd take you shopping for school clothes. Then you'd go to the diner and have a chicken sandwich.

And the clothes were what your mom wanted you to wear, not what you wanted to wear.

...And the Christmas Wishbook...

I always remember getting all washed up and dressed up to go down to Sears with my father to buy a "big-ticket" item, a new TV or fridge or lawnmower... something that cost at least a couple hundred bucks.

We'd be in the appliance dept. with fans running on high with ribbons tied on to show you they were going and the smell of popcorn throughout that dept...

School clothes, each year my father and I went to one dept store and "picked-out" my whole new wardrobe basically... shoes included... probably came to another hundred bucks.

Each year I'd look through the different Christmas catalogs, Sears, J.C. Penny, Montgomery "Monkey" Wards at all the cheesy guitars and drums etc...

fallout 4 vault 108

Thx :p

Sep 2014
South FL
Bought 100 shares @ $.98 on my Robinhood account because the downside is minimal. I mean they have alot of debt out there, but at the end of the day somebody might want them. They still sell lots of stuff.

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State

Yes, I remember that. Only we were more of a SEARS family.

Sep 2014
South FL
My spitball idea is JC Penny + Sears + Twitter and Twitter morphs into a marketplace instead of the shit show that it is today.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
My spitball idea is JC Penny + Sears + Twitter and Twitter morphs into a marketplace instead of the shit show that it is today.
I've been doing Twitter for a while and it is by far the weirdest "community" I've ever seen. It's like high school with the cool kids and the nobodies, the clowns with a bunch of celebrities thrown in. Apparently people really do give a shit what kind of cereal the Kardashians eat and if Ariana Grande so much as farts it takes over the top 5 trending spots for the whole day.

I have to confess I like that president is active on Twitter, I just wish his content rose above trolling and whining.

Twitter just seems like one big smart remark generator and meme factory.