Pentagon blames Trump for rise of ISIS in Iraq and Syria

Dec 2006
In the Witness Protection Program
Jul 2019
Atlanta

But let’s all talk about how liberals love ISIS. We are not safer and it’s because Trump does not know what he is doing and refuses to listen to anyone who does.
  • The Pentagon inspector general issued a report to Congress saying that the Islamic State is again growing in power in Syria and Iraq, with approximately 14,000 to 18,000 militants.
  • The report specifically said President Donald Trump's decision to rapidly draw down troops in Syria and pull diplomatic staff from Iraq increased instability and allowed the militants to regroup.
  • Former Special Presidential Envoy Brett McGurk, who resigned following the drawdown announcement, has repeatedly warned of this scenario, saying that Trump's policies would lead to chaos and "an environment for extremists to thrive."

Dec 2006
In the Witness Protection Program
  • The Pentagon inspector general issued a report to Congress saying that the Islamic State is again growing in power in Syria and Iraq, with approximately 14,000 to 18,000 militants.
  • The report specifically said President Donald Trump's decision to rapidly draw down troops in Syria and pull diplomatic staff from Iraq increased instability and allowed the militants to regroup.
  • Former Special Presidential Envoy Brett McGurk, who resigned following the drawdown announcement, has repeatedly warned of this scenario, saying that Trump's policies would lead to chaos and "an environment for extremists to thrive."
Thanks. I’m posting from my phone and so I’m a little bit limited.

Reactions: charleston2

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Somewhere below 14th and East.
Wait the pentagon is mad we are not continuing endless wars??

Shocking I say, its like a hammer looking for nails.

and just like that the anti war left continues its neocon march to chickenhawkery.

Reactions: remington50

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Wait the pentagon is mad we are not continuing endless wars??

Shocking I say, its like a hammer looking for nails.

and just like that the anti war left continues its neocon march to chickenhawkery.
This isn't new and it isn't just military officials coming to that conclusion.

US intelligence officials say the Al Hol camp, managed by Syrian Kurdish allies with little aid or security, is evolving into a hotbed of Islamic State ideology and a huge breeding ground for future terrorists. The US-backed Syrian Kurdish force also holds more than 10,000 Islamic State fighters, including 2,000 foreigners, in separate makeshift prisons.

At Al Hol, the Syrian Kurds’ “inability to provide more than ‘minimal security’ at the camp has allowed the ‘uncontested conditions to spread of Isis ideology’ there,” said the inspector general’s report, which was prepared for the Pentagon, the State Department and the US Agency for International Development.

The military’s Central Command told the report’s authors that “Isis is likely exploiting the lack of security to enlist new members and re-engage members who have left the battlefield.”

A recent United Nations assessment reached the same conclusion, saying that family members living at Al Hol “may come to pose a threat if they are not dealt with appropriately.”

These trends, described by Iraqi, American and other Western intelligence and military officials, and documented in a recent series of government and UN assessments, portray an Islamic State on the rise again, not only in Iraq and Syria, but in branches from West Africa to Sinai.

This resurgence poses threats to American interests and allies, as the Trump administration draws down US troops in Syria and shifts its focus in the Middle East to a looming confrontation with Iran.

Donald Trump hasn't got a clue about what he's doing. I'd love for us to disentangle ourselves from the ME but just pulling out doesn't seem to be the answer. And don't ask me what the ultimate solution is. I'm not an expert on such things. But I look at the results of actions and know whether those actions are improving things or making them worse and I can see that Donald Trump is making things worse. He has absolutely no idea what he's doing and he has no one around him who does either. He has only yes men who just do as he says. That you can't see that is bizarre.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA

Donald Trump hasn't got a clue about what he's doing. I'd love for us to disentangle ourselves from the ME but just pulling out doesn't seem to be the answer. And don't ask me what the ultimate solution is. I'm not an expert on such things. But I look at the results of actions and know whether those actions are improving things or making them worse and I can see that Donald Trump is making things worse. He has absolutely no idea what he's doing and he has no one around him who does either. He has only yes men who just do as he says. That you can't see that is bizarre.
It doesn't matter who is POTUS....ISIS or another terrorist group will always have a presence in the ME. Obama pulled the troops and had to send them back to Iraq due to their inability to fight ISIS. We can't stay there forever. There isn't effective foreign policy in the ME. Iraq wants us to leave and we should accommodate their wishes. The Iraqi government must feel they can handle ISIS at this point. We have a clean out per their request...we should take it. Since Trump is CIC....we really need to get out of the ME unless we want to see more maimed or dead soldiers returning home. The ME is a long way from the US and unless we have allowed terrorist cells in the US because we could not vet them...then we need to protect our own soil. We can't do both. For the safety of our military and the financial health of the US...pulling out is the only solution.

Jul 2019
Atlanta
It doesn't matter who is POTUS....ISIS or another terrorist group will always have a presence in the ME. Obama pulled the troops and had to send them back to Iraq due to their inability to fight ISIS. We can't stay there forever. There isn't effective foreign policy in the ME. Iraq wants us to leave and we should accommodate their wishes. The Iraqi government must feel they can handle ISIS at this point. We have a clean out per their request...we should take it. Since Trump is CIC....we really need to get out of the ME unless we want to see more maimed or dead soldiers returning home. The ME is a long way from the US and unless we have allowed terrorist cells in the US because we could not vet them...then we need to protect our own soil. We can't do both. For the safety of our military and the financial health of the US...pulling out is the only solution.
Trump has threatened to collapse Iraq's economy and withhold their oil revenues if they insist the US leave.

Reactions: Friday13
Jan 2019
southeast

And Obama did? Lol

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
Trump has threatened to collapse Iraq's economy and withhold their oil revenues if they insist the US leave.
He is a fool. Someone needs to override this decision. He is incapable of being CIC. The ME is a lost cause and everyone knows it. Continued war mongering will not help stabilizing the ME. We are making it worse.