Pentagon lets nut case loose

Sep 2009
From the article:
Prior to the shooting on Nov. 5, 2009, the Senate report concludes the FBI’s joint terrorism task force, or JTTF, failed to tell the military that Hasan exchanged at least 18 e-mails with the American cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, who is described by U.S. officials as an operational planner who sanctions these attacks. Awlaki is linked to every major attack or attempted attack on the U.S. over the last 12 months.
Why was he allowed to live?

Dec 2010
Oregon
I think if this was an elisted person we were talking about they would have found a way to get rid of him. I think officers regularly cover each others asses.

And yes, I agree with you on the death threat thing. Ask any woman who's been stalked by an ex. The issue of prosecuting people for threats is tricky.
This was the military. I suggest there is another than civilian mentality with regard to law etc. I think they dropped the ball and that he would ordinarily have been snared by virtue of his activity and public admissions.

To allow people to be killed instead of being embarrassed is not something I think was decided.

freecell

Former Staff
Jul 2006
Cary
And yes, I agree with you on the death threat thing. Ask any woman who's been stalked by an ex. The issue of prosecuting people for threats is tricky.
Yea, those are the most frustrating ones. The woman can put a protective order out but until he strikes or makes a move the police can't do nothing. Even if he communicates threats it’s just a misdemeanor most of the time. A good bit of times help comes too late. One of my old friends had an ex like this. He did get her, hit her and pushed her out of a moving car. I begged her to come stay with me but she said she couldn’t run and live in fear forever. She is ok today and he is completely out of her life but she went threw Hell.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Yea, those are the most frustrating ones. The woman can put a protective order out but until he strikes or makes a move the police can't do nothing. Even if he communicates threats it’s just a misdemeanor most of the time. A good bit of times help comes too late. One of my old friends had an ex like this. He did get her, hit her and pushed her out of a moving car. I begged her to come stay with me but she said she couldn’t run and live in fear forever. She is ok today and he is completely out of her life but she went threw Hell.
A long time ago I had a friend who split up with her abusive husband, he left for a while then came back and tried to take her youngest, his biological child. Big drama the cops finally showed up and he whined she wasn't letting him see the kids, blah blah. they felt sorry for him and only required he stay 50 feet away from her house.

He hung around for a while then left again and was eventually arrested for having murdered his next girlfriend. He stabbed her 27 times.

He's in San Quentin now.

Sep 2009
A long time ago I had a friend who split up with her abusive husband, he left for a while then came back and tried to take her youngest, his biological child. Big drama the cops finally showed up and he whined she wasn't letting him see the kids, blah blah. they felt sorry for him and only required he stay 50 feet away from her house.

He hung around for a while then left again and was eventually arrested for having murdered his next girlfriend. He stabbed her 27 times.

He's in San Quentin now.
These are the kind of men who kill their kids as a final act of hurting the women.

Aug 2009
SoCal
I think if this was an elisted person we were talking about they would have found a way to get rid of him. I think officers regularly cover each others asses.
Quoted for truth!

Enlisted people routinely cover each other's asses too... the thing is they still have a large portion of the chain of command above them, and often when someone of higher rank "covers their ass" it means he disciplines a subordinate. Officers are a much much smaller and insular group of the whole fighting force.

Now don't get me wrong, I am an honorably discharged veteran and I have a unending respect for the work and dedication that men and women display in their military service. Still, the Military is an enormous government agency and it is populated with every kind of person you can imagine. There are many, certainly far more than in the general population, real live heroes. There are also a fair amount of lazy incompetent losers just like in every other walk of life. Obviously that murderous islamofascist fuckhead had a bunch of lazy incompetent superiors.

For the record, I was no hero when I was in the Navy. I joined to get an education because my family couldn't afford college. I got a technical education, very drunk much of the time, and ended up traveling all over the world.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Quoted for truth!

Enlisted people routinely cover each other's asses too... the thing is they still have a large portion of the chain of command above them, and often when someone of higher rank "covers their ass" it means he disciplines a subordinate. Officers are a much much smaller and insular group of the whole fighting force.

Now don't get me wrong, I am an honorably discharged veteran and I have a unending respect for the work and dedication that men and women display in their military service. Still, the Military is an enormous government agency and it is populated with every kind of person you can imagine. There are many, certainly far more than in the general population, real live heroes. There are also a fair amount of lazy incompetent losers just like in every other walk of life. Obviously that murderous islamofascist fuckhead had a bunch of lazy incompetent superiors.

For the record, I was no hero when I was in the Navy. I joined to get an education because my family couldn't afford college. I got a technical education, very drunk much of the time, and ended up traveling all over the world.
I don't know what kind of unit the Fort Hood shooter was in, but I think non-combat units tend to be more bureaucratic than combat units also.

Dec 2010
Southington Connecticut
You don't think they could've gotten rid of him if they really wanted to? Couldn't they just have arranged to have someone "tell" (as in DADT) on him? I think the military just kicked the problem upstairs in part due to fears like what you described, and in part because they are just as bureaucratic and lazy as the rest of the government.
Blue, I think that you are correct on both counts!!!!