People Are Abusing Their Pets To Get Opioids

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
This is a very disturbing story. Some veterinarians fear that some people are abusing their pets in order to get opioids:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180809112420.htm
This is terrible. I spayed my girls at the same time. They are 6 months apart. One of them was fine after surgery..wanted to eat, play, etc. The other one had a hard time. She was shaking and behaving strangely and she had quite a bit of swelling. She is very small and petite. I called the Vet after I picked them up and told them she was experiencing a lot of pain. The Vet gave me a hard time about pain pills for her and started asking me questions. I have a short fuse when it comes to my girls and assured them, that I have my own doctor and I am a nurse, if I wanted pain pills it would be no problem for me so STFU and give me her medication so she can rest comfortably. It pissed me off.

I can very easily seeing addicts doing this tho.

Sep 2016
My own world
This is terrible. I spayed my girls at the same time. They are 6 months apart. One of them was fine after surgery..wanted to eat, play, etc. The other one had a hard time. She was shaking and behaving strangely and she had quite a bit of swelling. She is very small and petite. I called the Vet after I picked them up and told them she was experiencing a lot of pain. The Vet gave me a hard time about pain pills for her and started asking me questions. I have a short fuse when it comes to my girls and assured them, that I have my own doctor and I am a nurse, if I wanted pain pills it would be no problem for me so STFU and give me her medication so she can rest comfortably. It pissed me off.

I can very easily seeing addicts doing this tho.
Unless the dogs are large I can't see an adult getting a buzz off a dogs medication as the dosage is geared to the dogs weight. Taking a petite dogs medication to get high would be useless IMO.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Ugh ... that is disturbing. But then again, addicts will do just about anything (generally speaking) to get their drugs.

HCProf

Sep 2014
USA
Unless the dogs are large I can't see an adult getting a buzz off a dogs medication as the dosage is geared to the dogs weight. Taking a petite dogs medication to get high would be useless IMO.
I guess if you take enough of them, it would ward off dope sickness. Addicts fear being dope sick just as much as they want to get high.

Jan 2016
Colorado
I read a longer article in The Denver Post on this same subject, and one veterinarian had a heart-rending story about a German shepherd he said had clearly been cut with a razor blade, in an effort to get a prescription for opioids. Sometimes I read news stories that just make me hate the human race in general. This is one of those times.

Nov 2016
USA
Ugh ... that is disturbing. But then again, addicts will do just about anything (generally speaking) to get their drugs.
I hate hearing stories like this. When I worked at FDA, one of my colleagues was a neurologist who burned out from dealing with patients coming in just to try to get opioids. She gave up her practice and went to work for FDA as a medical officer.

The last time I was given narcotics was when I had bronchitis. I was given cough suppressant with coding for nighttime use only, because the cough was preventing me from sleeping. I was glad that the antibiotics cleared it up quickly and I did not empty the bottle. It tasted yucky too.

Jul 2018
North Carolina
Animal abuse is close cousin to child abuse. Both crimes should lead to long prison sentences I believe.
Depending on how one defines Animal / child abuse generally speaking yes, I would agree it's somewhat comparable. One sure thing for me is that IF beatings / torture are involved then yes GO STRAIGHT TO JAIL, and spend a long, long time there. That way they can spend some "quality" time getting to know Bubba.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Depending on how one defines Animal / child abuse generally speaking yes, I would agree it's somewhat comparable. One sure thing for me is that IF beatings / torture are involved then yes GO STRAIGHT TO JAIL, and spend a long, long time there. That way they can spend some "quality" time getting to know Bubba.
According to some of his boyhood friends, George W. Bush was fond of torturing animals----frogs, at least-----when he was young. He would capture frogs, stick a firecracker up their arse, light the firecracker, toss the frogs up in the air, and then laugh with glee when the frogs would blow up. Some eight or ten years later, he was torturing frat pledges at Yale, branding them with white-hot coat hangers, which was actually investigated by campus police. Some thirty-five years or so after that, he was having our prisoners tortured. There was kind of a pattern there. And the stories about him as a boy and as a young man at Yale came out in 2000, before he was 'elected'. America should have taken that as a warning. Shrug.