People Are Abusing Their Pets To Get Opioids

Macduff

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I have no problem with prison sentences. They are deserved and need to be served. It's the rest that disturbs me.
I'm as punitive as the next guy and I don't have any sympathy for someone who abuses animals. But...this country has been throwing millions of drug addicts in prison for all kinds of crimes. How has that been working out?

Jan 2016
Colorado
I have no problem with prison sentences. They are deserved and need to be served. It's the rest that disturbs me.
Some years back, I read a disturbing story out of Oklahoma after they privatized their prison system. Some very slight guy, a proverbial 98-lb weakling, was sentenced to prison for a long series of stupid white-collar type crimes: check forgery, petty embezzling, and the like. He was passed back and forth between the inmates, used as a sexual toy, until he acquired AIDS. He died. The punishment seemed far out of proportion to his crimes.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Some years back, I read a disturbing story out of Oklahoma after they privatized their prison system. Some very slight guy, a proverbial 98-lb weakling, was sentenced to prison for a long series of stupid white-collar type crimes: check forgery, petty embezzling, and the like. He was passed back and forth between the inmates, used as a sexual toy, until he acquired AIDS. He died. The punishment seemed far out of proportion to his crimes.
And, by the way, he repeatedly objected to how he was being 'treated' in prison, to no avail. They simply didn't fucking care.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
And, by the way, he repeatedly objected to how he was being 'treated' in prison, to no avail. They simply didn't fucking care.
Of course they did not care. As a private company, they were not paid to care, and could avoid oversight in any case.

I know a rabbi who disagrees with the whole concept of prison. And every time I hear another prison story (like the one you told), I begin to more and more agree with him.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Of course they did not care. As a private company, they were not paid to care, and could avoid oversight in any case.

I know a rabbi who disagrees with the whole concept of prison. And every time I hear another prison story (like the one you told), I begin to more and more agree with him.
I am certainly totally opposed to the idea of privatizing prisons. That should be strictly a governmental responsibility, so that there is accountability for how prisoners are treated and (hopefully) rehabilitated.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
I am certainly totally opposed to the idea of privatizing prisons. That should be strictly a governmental responsibility, so that there is accountability for how prisoners are treated and (hopefully) rehabilitated.
Oh, absolutely. If there is to be jail/prison for punishment, it should not be privatized at all. "Privatization" is just a code word for shifting public money to private coffers.

But I am starting to wonder if we need a better alternative than confinement as punishment.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Oh, absolutely. If there is to be jail/prison for punishment, it should not be privatized at all. "Privatization" is just a code word for shifting public money to private coffers.

But I am starting to wonder if we need a better alternative than confinement as punishment.
I know that [MENTION=26026]NightSwimmer[/MENTION], for example, thinks prisons should be used for only violent offenders, meaning that criminals like Bernie Madoff would have to be punished in some other way. I do think it beyond ridiculous that we lock up so many non-violent drug offenders, due to our deeply misguided 'War on Drugs'. You would think we would have learned our lesson with Prohibition. But what would YOU advocate we DO with extremely violent offenders? With someone like Ted Bundy, for example? Or Robert Dear, to take a more recent example? Or Dylann Roof?

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
But what would YOU advocate we DO with extremely violent offenders? With someone like Ted Bundy, for example? Or Robert Dear, to take a more recent example? Or Dylann Roof?
Unfortunately, for people like these - either extremely egregious offenders, or multiple repeat offenders - I do not have a sufficient alternative to either confinement or execution. Yet. Perhaps technology will eventually give us other alternatives, though they could be cures worse than the diseases...

Jan 2016
Colorado
Unfortunately, for people like these - either extremely egregious offenders, or multiple repeat offenders - I do not have a sufficient alternative to either confinement or execution. Yet. Perhaps technology will eventually give us other alternatives, though they could be cures worse than the diseases...
Yeah, I'm sure you've seen or read some of the dystopian science fiction alternatives to incarceration.....'Dagger of the Mind' ring any bells? Of course those folks WERE incarcerated. Clockwork Orange? All kinds of possible mind control or mind-rewriting or mind-rewiring techniques spring to mind. Even brain surgery in some cases. I read one series of sci-fi novels where they would put dangerous criminals into stasis for a period of like 200 years, as a punishment.