Perdue Suggests Suspending Elections

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
[h=2]Perdue Suggests Suspending Elections[/h]North Carolina Gov. Bev Perdue (D) said the country should suspend congressional elections for two years "so that Congress can focus on economic recovery and not the next election," the Raleigh News and Observer reports.

Said Perdue: "I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years and just tell them we won't hold it against them, whatever decisions they make, to just let them help this country recover. I really hope that someone can agree with me on that. You want people who don't worry about the next election."

Update: Was Perdue joking, as her staff now claims? Audio of her remarks was just posted.

more: Perdue Suggests Suspending Elections

The audio file doesn't play for me, so I can't say, but I saw another article on this somewhere, and it didn't sound like they thought she was joking. What in the heck could she possibly have been thinking!?? Suspend elections???? Damn.

Sep 2011
New York
It wasn't a joke. She didn't pause before or after, she didn't change her tone or pitch, she didn't wait for applause.
There is nothing to suggest she was anything but serious when she made the comment.

You'll have forgive her though. Our Bev hass been having one helluva time with our new republican state legislature. I think the stress is starting to wear on her.

Reactions: jackalope

freecell

Former Staff
Jul 2006
Cary
LOL well I happen to like this dem Mrs. Perdue. If it wasn't for her many here wouldn't have gotten their unemployments checks they were trying to block. She is not perfect but she will do.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
As I wrote in the other thread, it was a dumb thing to say but I can understand the frustration.

Sep 2011
New York
LOL well I happen to like this dem Mrs. Perdue. If it wasn't for her many here wouldn't have gotten their unemployments checks they were trying to block. She is not perfect but she will do.
She is definitely having a time with the new legislature.

What strikes me as odd is that we typically have pretty conservative democrats here at home; there usually isn't such a drastic difference between them and the republicans in the state government. But this new batch (of republicans) is in a league to their own. They're almost to the level of the tea party, and I really don't think people were looking for that much change so sudden.

This next election is going to be very interesting, I think.

Jun 2011
N/A
Regardless, suggesting such a thing is truly unamerican, from my perspective, and it does not matter to me which party the offending Pol belongs to. It is saying that we cannot trust the electorate in hard times. But we trusted the electorate in the middle of the Great Depression and in the middle of WWII and after the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Suspending elections in hard times is what burgeoning dictatorships do (see: Mussolini, Hitler, Franco, just to name a few), not what Republics based on Democratic principles do. I cannot agree with Perdue on this. In the history of our Union, we have never cancelled elections. Even during the Civil War, the Union (or what was still the Union in 1862 and 1864) had elections.

I must assume that she just had a political Tourettes moment.

Reactions: jackalope