Peter Frampton has rare muscle disease, will play last tour date ever in Bay Area

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
Peter Frampton has rare muscle disease, will play last tour date ever in Bay Area

Peter Frampton has announced that he will retire from performing live this year, revealing that he is battling inclusion body myositis, also known as IBM, a rare autoimmune disease that causes progressive muscle weakness and atrophy.

The 68-year-old English guitarist, who has long called the United States home, plans to launch his farewell tour on June 18 in Tulsa, Okla., and play his final North American date at the Concord Pavilion in Concord on Oct. 12.

While his condition, which is not life-threatening nor curable, will not affect his voice, Frampton said it will impair his ability to play the guitar. He plans to record as much music as possible in the next few months and release a new double album around the tour.
I remember wondering where he went after "Frampton Comes Alive." My sister remembers me playing that album damn near nonstop. I did not know he'd been in a serious car crash that effectively derailed his career.

35 Years Ago: Peter Frampton Almost Killed in Car Wreck

And again in 2012;

Rock star Peter Frampton injured in car accident after he is hit by 'texting woman' | Daily Mail Online

And now this.

Fucking harsh.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA

I remember wondering where he went after "Frampton Comes Alive." My sister remembers me playing that album damn near nonstop. I did not know he'd been in a serious car crash that effectively derailed his career.

35 Years Ago: Peter Frampton Almost Killed in Car Wreck

And again in 2012;

Rock star Peter Frampton injured in car accident after he is hit by 'texting woman' | Daily Mail Online

And now this.

Fucking harsh.
He still toured a little bit. He just played the Hard Rock here locally. I had the biggest crush on him in middle school. Posters on the wall and couples skating at the roller rink. So many of the faves are getting old, sick or have died. It is sad.

I wore out the album Frampton Comes Alive as well. :)

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
I remember wondering where he went after "Frampton Comes Alive." My sister remembers me playing that album damn near nonstop.
You can find that album (and a couple others) on Amazon Music. (Comes with Prime ... you don't need Music Unlimited.)

Dec 2014
NWOHQ
That's such a shame, as he's been enjoying a resurgence among the guitar community lately (well, the older guitarist community).