Philadelphia's Openly Gay Deputy Sheriff, 26, 'Shoots Himself Dead at his Desk'

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Philadelphia's deputy sheriff, who was openly gay, died by apparent suicide on Friday as the city's Pride celebrations got underway.

Dante Austin, 27, who had been named the office's LGBTQ community liaison officer in 2017, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound and was found in his office, CBS Philly reported.

Austin, an Army veteran who was working in the Civil Enforcement Unit, was scheduled to be promoted to sergeant on July 1.

He was widely praised as being 'brave and compassionate', having dedicated his short life to public office.

Philadelphia's openly gay sheriff dies by apparent suicide | Daily Mail Online

For me .....

This was a difficult story to read all the way through.

This man was obviously very special to a lot of people.

I am curious as to why people think this happened and what could have been done, if anything, to have prevented it.

May 2013
N Oregon Coast
Sad :(

Now waiting patiently for some homophobic Nutbar to suggest it had to do with his being gay ...

When PTSD is the more likely culprit

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Sad :(

Now waiting patiently for some homophobic Nutbar to suggest it had to do with his being gay ...

When PTSD is the more likely culprit
Or some anti-Gun Nutbar claim it was the gun.

Oh wait ....

That's already happened.

However, I will agree that PTSD is a more likely culprit, without any evidence, you can't exactly say that for sure now can you?

May 2013
N Oregon Coast
Or some anti-Gun Nutbar claim it was the gun.

Oh wait ....

That's already happened.

However, I will agree that PTSD is a more likely culprit, without any evidence, you can't exactly say that for sure now can you?
No - It's simply an educated guess. Happy to see that we can agree on something.

Jul 2016
Florida
No - It's simply an educated guess. Happy to see that we can agree on something.
PTSD may or may not be related to his service.

One thing is for certain.

Suicide rates are very high among the LBGT community.
There's his point!

Dear John,

Suicide rates within the LGBTQ community are high because of the hatred displayed by people like you, and other homophobes.

Will you dance in the streets when someone you know turns out to be gay and kills him/herself because of homophobic hatred from people like you?

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Yes, LGBT suicide rates are slightly higher than most. I know why that is - You most likely do not.
I know what Ilhan Meyer's theory is.

I do not think it explains fully the high rate of mental disorders, such as depression anxiety, addiction, suicide, etc. among the gay community.

This man had just attended a gay pride parade the day before.

His job as a Deputy was with the Civil Enforcement Unit where he protected society's most marginalized citizens, including memebers of the LGTB Community.

His profile is not that of the people Meyers sampled in the study.

Jul 2016
Florida
Thread Derailing
I know what Ilhan Meyer's theory is.

I do not think it explains fully the high rate of mental disorders, such as depression anxiety, addiction, suicide, etc. among the gay community.

This man had just attended a gay pride parade the day before.

His job as a Deputy was with the Civil Enforcement Unit where he protected society's most marginalized citizens, including memebers of the LGTB Community.

His profile is not that of the people Meyers sampled in the study.
lol...are you really doxxing the guy in order to prove some kind of point?

Creepy....

Did you look him up on OutPersonal???

Chat, Casual Hookups & Sex Dates with Gay Men - Out Personals

Apr 2018
oregon
Philadelphia's deputy sheriff, who was openly gay, died by apparent suicide on Friday as the city's Pride celebrations got underway.

Dante Austin, 27, who had been named the office's LGBTQ community liaison officer in 2017, died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound and was found in his office, CBS Philly reported.

Austin, an Army veteran who was working in the Civil Enforcement Unit, was scheduled to be promoted to sergeant on July 1.

He was widely praised as being 'brave and compassionate', having dedicated his short life to public office.

Philadelphia's openly gay sheriff dies by apparent suicide | Daily Mail Online

For me .....

This was a difficult story to read all the way through.

This man was obviously very special to a lot of people.

I am curious as to why people think this happened and what could have been done, if anything, to have prevented it.
That's certainly a shitty thing to make your co-workers deal with. I wonder if there's a whitewater connection.