Pics from Olympics

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Just some cool pics from Pyeongchang, opening, etc.

North and South Korean athletes enter together under the Korean unification flag during the parade of athletes

Kim Yo Jong (left), the sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, shakes hands with South Korean President Moon Jae-in at the opening ceremony of the 2018 Winter Olympics.

The crowd stands amid lights

The show

Some artists or whatever impersonating Trump and Kim Jong Un

lol

Team Canada

USA

Tonga was really interesting lmao

Strange, to me, because I always thought Tongans, as Pacific islanders, would be big, Sumo wrestler type guys, like the Samoans and such haha

Russia (more on that in next post)

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
So, as y'all know, Russian flag and such is all banned at Olympics this year. For ATHLETES AND COACHES.

NOT, however, for civilian supporters hehehe

And Russia is using that to the full extent.

According to some info I saw, they actually sent the biggest contingent of fans and volunteers, after the Koreans themselves

Wherever "Olympic Athletes from Russia" are competing, their Motherland's flags are there, in the stands, waving ever proudly, and people wear hats, scarves, etc, with Russian colors, and even draw it on their faces and such

Plenty of people came right from Vladivostok, next door

but the dude in first pic, in the Sochi Olympics jacket, came all the way from Tver, in European Russia, near St. Petersburg

Interestingly enough, this Azad Patel is originally from India, came to Russia to study medicine, and ended up staying and becoming a citizen, like plenty of these foreign students.

Valentina Rasulova, a beauty queen from Rostov, in the South, who won Miss Intercontinental in 2015, also went to support the team

Along with many others

Even some Koreans brought a Russian flag to a figure skating event

lol

A beautiful fan house has also been set up, which the Koreans are also loving

Overall, rather than deride the "neutral" athletes as traitors, Russia (aside from a few nationalist nutcases) chose to bathe them in love and support here, and fight back against what they see as enemies at IOC and WADA this way. The team was supposed to be nameless and disgraced at these Games. It is far from that. I am not sure where I stand on the whole question, whether there was cheating or not (probably there was...), but, it is nice to see Russia, at least, behaving in some kind of a nice, constructive manner, for once.