Pirated Music Crackdown...at the Airport?

Will Muslims rule the world?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I don't know

• Total voters

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
[quote name='michaelr' date='06 October 2009 - 12:56 PM' timestamp='1254848197' post='33533']

Pirated Music Crackdown...at the Airport?

but...but...say it isn't so, the government lied again, they said TSA was screening laptops and cameras and other digital storage devices for evidence of terrorism.....

[/quote]

Since when does the TSA answer to the Australian government?

Blah

Former Staff
Jan 2007
USA
Here's a good policy for the coming decades--your medical records, your purchasing habits,

your account information, your computer, your phone conversations, most everything you

have or do that you don't specifically encrypt or hide... conciser it public.

If a kid from China can log the keystrokes as you type to steal your World of Warcraft

password I guarantee you the government can access whatever they want.

michaelr

Former Staff
Dec 2006
FEMA Region 10
[quote name='Djinn' date='06 October 2009 - 02:40 PM' timestamp='1254865255' post='33663']

Since when does the TSA answer to the Australian government?

[/quote]

The proposal is said to be part of a broader

international treaty -- one believed to include the good ol' U.S. of A. -- so we could ultimately see the concept pop up here, there, or anywhere.

Read first, then ask. Anyway this has been happening in this country for a couple of years, like I said under the guise of terrorism.

Clarity Sought on Electronics Searches

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
[quote name='michaelr' date='06 October 2009 - 02:59 PM' timestamp='1254866396' post='33666']

Read first, then ask. Anyway this has been happening in this country for a couple of years, like I said under the guise of terrorism.

[/quote]

do you mean it is happening or that it possibly could be probably might be some day soon theoretically happening?

Djinn

Council Hall
Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
[quote name='michaelr' date='06 October 2009 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1254866396' post='33666']

[/quote]

Ok, I read the secondary article:

A leaked discussion paper suggests criminal sanctions would be applied to IPR infringements "on a commercial scale".

What do you think "on a commercial scale" means?

Jun 2008
[quote name='boontito' date='06 October 2009 - 06:05 PM' timestamp='1254866711' post='33667']

do you mean it is happening or that it possibly could be probably might be some day soon theoretically happening?

[/quote]

It may not be happening at the airport. It might not be illegally downloaded music. But it IS happening.

I will use a hypothetical to illustrate the insideous nature of this kind of infringement on our freedoms. See if you can follow me on this.

You go to an internet gaming site. You meet another player online and strike up a conversation. The player is from overseas. While talking you make a joke about killing monkeys. While snooping about the net, a gov't agent sees you used the word monkey. Let's say that monkey is a known (or suspected) codeword for Bush or Obama (take your pick). Now they feel they have probable cause to dig deeper. They contact your ISP. You paid for your internet bill via a credit card. They get the ISP to provide them with that number. After contacting your credit card company to access your charge records. After all, you may have used it to buy something to kill that "monkey." After reviewing your records, while they don't see any such purchase, they notice you charged for a hotel room in Reno. The same weekend you went to Reno, a child was abuducted. They contact the hotel about your visit to see if they had any video of unusual activity on your part. There is nothing suspicious but they check the hotel's phone record and see that you called the number of a "lady for service." It may have been legal in Nevada but you you live in Butte, Montana so they decide to check up on you there. While following you around one night to see if you frequented any ladies of the night (which you did not), they catch you not coming to a full stop at a stop sign. You are pulled over. The police say they smelled alcohol (eventhough you passed a field sobriety test) and tell you to blow into a tube. They say it read over the limit so they take you in for a blood alcohol test. The test comes back at .08% so you are areested for DUI. You spend 30 days in jail and are given a 1 year probation. Terms of your probation state no alcohol. Your probabtion officer heard from a friend that you had a beer while golfing. You are arrested again for your probation violation and go back to jail for 60 days for a probation violation and lose your license for a year. You had to work to pay all of the fines and attorney fees and one day you can't get a ride so you take a chance and drive yourself. Your probation officer happened to be checking on you that day. You are arrested again and charge with a felony because this was the third time you appeared before the court. After getting out of prison you voted in the election. You are convicted of felony voter fraud and are given 5 years because you have a record. Now, since you are a felon, you can't find a decent job. Your life sits in ruin.

This may sound far-fetched and I know it is a bit of a stretch but I think you get the idea. While you were far from being a terrorist, the "fruit of the poison tree" that arose from a supposed terror investigation screwed for you life. This is why safeguards are so necessary when we pass laws like the Patriot Act. The intention of the law was not to put you, a non-terrorist and basically a law abiding citizen, in prison for things that had nothing to do with catching international terrorists. Without them it can (and does) happen.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
[quote name='uncommonman' date='06 October 2009 - 04:28 PM' timestamp='1254871687' post='33691']

It may not be happening at the airport. It might not be illegally downloaded music. But it IS happening.

I will use a hypothetical to illustrate the insideous nature of this kind of infringement on our freedoms. See if you can follow me on this.

You go to an internet gaming site. You meet another player online and strike up a conversation. The player is from overseas. While talking you make a joke about killing monkeys. While snooping about the net, a gov't agent sees you used the word monkey. Let's say that monkey is a known (or suspected) codeword for Bush or Obama (take your pick). Now they feel they have probable cause to dig deeper. They contact your ISP. You paid for your internet bill via a credit card. They get the ISP to provide them with that number. After contacting your credit card company to access your charge records. After all, you may have used it to buy something to kill that "monkey." After reviewing your records, while they don't see any such purchase, they notice you charged for a hotel room in Reno. The same weekend you went to Reno, a child was abuducted. They contact the hotel about your visit to see if they had any video of unusual activity on your part. There is nothing suspicious but they check the hotel's phone record and see that you called the number of a "lady for service." It may have been legal in Nevada but you you live in Butte, Montana so they decide to check up on you there. While following you around one night to see if you frequented any ladies of the night (which you did not), they catch you not coming to a full stop at a stop sign. You are pulled over. The police say they smelled alcohol (eventhough you passed a field sobriety test) and tell you to blow into a tube. They say it read over the limit so they take you in for a blood alcohol test. The test comes back at .08% so you are areested for DUI. You spend 30 days in jail and are given a 1 year probation. Terms of your probation state no alcohol. Your probabtion officer heard from a friend that you had a beer while golfing. You are arrested again for your probation violation and go back to jail for 60 days for a probation violation and lose your license for a year. You had to work to pay all of the fines and attorney fees and one day you can't get a ride so you take a chance and drive yourself. Your probation officer happened to be checking on you that day. You are arrested again and charge with a felony because this was the third time you appeared before the court. After getting out of prison you voted in the election. You are convicted of felony voter fraud and are given 5 years because you have a record. Now, since you are a felon, you can't find a decent job. Your life sits in ruin.

This may sound far-fetched and I know it is a bit of a stretch but I think you get the idea. While you were far from being a terrorist, the "fruit of the poison tree" that arose from a supposed terror investigation screwed for you life. This is why safeguards are so necessary when we pass laws like the Patriot Act. The intention of the law was not to put you, a non-terrorist and basically a law abiding citizen, in prison for things that had nothing to do with catching international terrorists. Without them it can (and does) happen.

[/quote]

I sincerely thank you for the peek inside the fear you live with each and every day. It explains a great deal.

Jun 2008
[quote name='boontito' date='06 October 2009 - 07:50 PM' timestamp='1254873027' post='33704']

I sincerely thank you for the peek inside the fear you live with each and every day. It explains a great deal.

[/quote]

I have no fear. Not from this. I just use my head for more than just a hat rack. Did I happen to mention? Nice hat!

Aug 2006
[quote name='uncommonman' date='06 October 2009 - 04:28 PM' timestamp='1254871687' post='33691']

[/quote]

Oh, all you have to do is say your felony voter fraud was your vote for the Messiah, and they'll let you go.

Jun 2008
[quote name='Freedom for All' date='06 October 2009 - 08:13 PM' timestamp='1254874432' post='33718']

Oh, all you have to do is say your felony voter fraud was your vote for the Messiah, and they'll let you go.

[/quote]

Wouldn't that be perjury? I will leave perjury up to the experts to partake in...like ummmm, errrrm, nevermind.