Police arrest armed man at Missouri Walmart

Jul 2019
Heartland
I'm not appealing to anybody - just telling you why prosecutors have charged him with making a terrorist threat. Intentionally creating public panic is not legal, even in a state with loose gun laws.
This brain-dead gun fan entered a Walmart carrying multiple firearms and 100 rounds, wearing body armor, and filming himself - days after another person shot 50 people in another Walmart. If he was trying to come off like a terrorist about to commit some horrific act, it worked.
Store management absolutely did the right thing by evacuating the store. What were they supposed to do - wait to find out what his intentions were? "Excuse me sir, are you here to buy baby food, or are you about to open fire?"

He's facing a possible 4 years behind bars for his stunt.
Here's the prosecutor's statement:

DMITRIY N. ANDREYCHENKO
It is legal in Missouri to open carry guns in certain public buildings. The business must ask the person to leave if it doesn't want the person with the gun on the premises. Walmart violated the man's legal rights.

"Missouri gun laws are a bit confusing on “No Weapons” signs. There are legal penalties for entering a private property or business that has posted these signs. However, according to the law, you only commit an offense if you refuse to leave the property after being asked to do so, or repeat the offense in a set period of time."
Missouri Gun Laws | GunsToCarry Guide

Jun 2014
United States
I'm not appealing to anybody - just telling you why prosecutors have charged him with making a terrorist threat.

No. You haven't explained why he was charged. You have merely reported that he was charged, and I was already aware of that.

Was he charged because he entered a Walmart carrying firearms too soon after the shooting at El Paso, or was it the fact that he brought an assault rifle into the store?

Carrying loaded firearms is legal. Carrying spare ammunition is legal. Wearing tactical gear is legal. Taking selfies is legal. Unless he verbally threatened someone, I doubt that this charge of terrorism will stick.

Jun 2014
United States
It is legal in Missouri to open carry guns in certain public buildings. The business must ask the person to leave if it doesn't want the person with the gun on the premises. Walmart violated the man's legal rights.

No. Walmart didn't violate his rights. Any private business is well within their rights to expel an armed person from their premises, even if they do generally allow firearms on their property. Besides, I've seen no evidence to indicate that the young man was asked to leave the store. It has been reported that he left after the fire alarm was tripped.

Jul 2019
Heartland
This is a very dumb statement.
In the case cited, the cops were too incompetent to safely drive their cars during a call for assistance. They are a threat to public safety because of their incompetence. The chief should suspend them from active duty until they receive the proper training in how to safety drive police cars when responding to emergencies. If he fails to do so, then he is not performing his duty to properly supervise them, and he should be fired.

Jul 2019
Heartland
No. Walmart didn't violate his rights. Any private business is well within their rights to expel an armed person from their premises, even if they do generally allow firearms on their property. Besides, I've seen no evidence to indicate that the young man was asked to leave the store. It has been reported that he left after the fire alarm was tripped.
Walmart violated his rights by causing a panic in reaction to the guy's exercise of his legal rights under Missouri law. Walmart did not act in accordance with the provision of the law, which requires an agent of the company to ask the person to leave its premises.

If the guy was prohibited from possesing a gun, then he broke the law. Otherwise, he was in full compliance and all of the other loonies are the criminals in this incident. A legitimate case can be made that the guy was stupid for doing what he did but it was 100% legal to do it.

As it says in 1 Corinthians 6:12 (CEB) = "I have the freedom to do anything, but not everything is helpful. I have the freedom to do anything, but I won’t be controlled by anything."

Jun 2014
United States
Walmart violated his rights by causing a panic in reaction to the guy's exercise of his legal rights under Missouri law. Walmart did not act in accordance with the provision of the law, which requires an agent of the company to ask the person to leave its premises.

Which "right" is it that you believe was violated?

Jul 2019
Heartland
Which "right" is it that you believe was violated?
The guy's right to openly carry arms under the Missouri State Constititution.

Refer to Article 1, Section 23 =

"Text of Section 23:
Right to Keep and Bear Arms--Exception

That the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms, ammunition, and accessories typical to the normal function of such arms, in defense of his home, person, family and property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil power, shall not be questioned. The rights guaranteed by this section shall be unalienable. Any restriction on these rights shall be subject to strict scrutiny and the state of Missouri shall be obligated to uphold these rights and shall under no circumstances decline to protect against their infringement. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the general assembly from enacting general laws which limit the rights of convicted violent felons or those duly adjudged mentally infirm by a court of competent jurisdiction."
Article I, Missouri Constitution - Ballotpedia

Jun 2014
United States
The guy's right to openly carry arms under the Missouri State Constititution.

Refer to Article 1, Section 23 =

"Text of Section 23:
Right to Keep and Bear Arms--Exception

That the right of every citizen to keep and bear arms, ammunition, and accessories typical to the normal function of such arms, in defense of his home, person, family and property, or when lawfully summoned in aid of the civil power, shall not be questioned. The rights guaranteed by this section shall be unalienable. Any restriction on these rights shall be subject to strict scrutiny and the state of Missouri shall be obligated to uphold these rights and shall under no circumstances decline to protect against their infringement. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the general assembly from enacting general laws which limit the rights of convicted violent felons or those duly adjudged mentally infirm by a court of competent jurisdiction."
Article I, Missouri Constitution - Ballotpedia

The police arrested him. Walmart didn't. Apparently, they didn't even ask him to leave.

Dec 2014
NWOHQ
As he claimed, and as his wife and sister claimed, he considered this an experiment to test whether he would be harassed for openly carrying.
Armed man who caused panic at a Walmart in Missouri said it was a 'social experiment,' police say - CNN
I'm sure he knew that Walmart allows open carry inside their stores. If he shops there, he's almost certainly seen customers carrying firearms. I have.
I have seen a couple of videos where gun nuts go into Walmart armed to the teeth merely to elicit a hysterical reaction. This one is sort of 'infamous', and I'll see if I can find the others.