Police brutality at election protest, 630 arrested

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
MOSCOW -- Police in Moscow have detained and beaten opposition politicians, along with protesters, in an attempt to disperse a demonstration against the refusal of election officials to register several opposition figures as candidates in municipal elections.

OVD-Info, an organization that monitors political arrests, said more than 630 demonstrators were detained by police around the unsanctioned rally on July 27 amid a heavy security presence in the Russian capital.

Several opposition figures and would-be candidates were among those detained -- including Ivan Zhdanov, Ilya Yashin, and Dmitry Gudkov.

Lyubov Sobol, an opposition leader whose bid to run in the municipal election was rejected by the city's election commission, was detained by police on July 27 on her way to the rally in central Moscow.

Aleksandra Parushina, a Moscow city councilwoman from the opposition A Just Russia party, told the Russian-language Current Time television that she was struck in the head by riot police from Russia's OMON force who "brutally" dispersed a crowd that was attempting to form near the Moscow mayor's office on Tverskaya Street, one of of the city's main thoroughfares.

"The OMON was called with batons and they started pushing us back very brutally and, in this horrific stampede, they began hitting people on their heads," Parushina said. "I received a blow. At first I did not even feel the pain, just saw so much blood on me from somewhere."

"I was probably unconscious for a moment and when I came back to my senses I heard OMON officers offering to fetch me an ambulance," Parushina said. "I refused because I was worried about all the people here and I decided to come back to be with all of them. At the end people managed to give me first aid."

Parushina said shortly after the incident that she had not yet decided what action she would take in response to the violence. But she called for the resignation of Moscow Mayor Sergei Soyanin, a close ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin, saying that what he is doing is "no longer leadership but destruction."
More: Police Beat, Detain Protesters, Opposition Figures At Moscow Rally

Protesters face off with police and Rosgvardia near City Hall

This older fellow, who apparently supports Boris Nemtsov, the opposition figure who was murdered back in 2015, reportedly called Putin a "suka" ("bitch") and expressed his desire to beat the guy up, before he was taken away lol

Overall, it started off more or less peacefully, but then, at one point, a group of protesters fought their way through one of the police lines, overwhelming them with numbers
There were also claims that some among the protesters sprayed tear gas and set off firecrackers or some kind of "explosive packages", I have NOT been able to, thus far find video evidence of this, but some who were there attest that there was gas and indeed some sort of bangs went off also. They blame this on professional "provocateurs". It is a favored tactic of the authorities over there: infiltrate own people among peaceful protesters, who then deliberately engage in various illegal behavior, from shouting (or holding up signs with) banned extremist slogans and such, to setting off pyrotechnics and goading the uniformed security forces into fighting; which then gives those aforementioned forces the excuse to respond violently against the protesters (while the provocateurs quietly vanish behind the police lines).

Which is exactly what happened here, they just pulled out the truncheons and started messing people up, cracking heads, plenty of protesters were left bleeding

Konstantin Konovalov, a young designer and graphic artist, who was jogging in the area and it is not entirely clear to me whether he was actually himself involved in the protest or was just an innocent bystander, was set upon by Rosgvardia and had his leg broken

Another young man apparently left bleeding from the head after a beating by OMON/Rosgvardia

Truncheons and dogs against protesters already on the ground in handcuffs

Aleksandra Parushina, the opposition party member of City Council, who had her head busted open

Police break into opposition leader Alexey Navalny's online broadcast studio/office, as they were live-streaming the protests

Brave lady in a wheelchair confronts the OMON

Don't see shit like that every day...

lol A couple argues with OMON officers who blocked their way toward a restaurant in the area, where they were heading to their wedding party :D

I want you, my American friends, honestly, to look at this. This is how people over there are fighting for nothing more than their right to freely elect their politicians. The same right you all take for granted, seemingly, and surrender at will to shady "Electoral Colleges" and such. I have seen some here refer to Trump as a dictator and whatnot at time. He is not. At least yet. But, if you don't want to descend to this, as a country, remember what you have. Cherish and defend it. Period.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
More pics

Protester tries to make Rosgvardia read the Constitution

Futile effort, really. I am not sure how many of them actually CAN read, at all... lol

Seems there were both Communists there

and anti-Communists also

Struggle for fair elections unites all :)

Another bloodied protester, after a scuffle with security forces

Arrests

Jul 2018
North Carolina
Brave lady in a wheelchair confronts the OMON

Don't see shit like that every day...
This picture right here, out of all you posted so far on this thread, was the one that got me literally staring at the screen in amazement. That posture with that stone faced look is incredible to me.

It in a way made me think of this image of "tank man" from 1989. Also a very powerful image.

Tank man. digital image. The New York Times. Jun. 3, 2009, Behind the Scenes: Tank Man of Tiananmen

Attachments

Last edited:

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
This picture right here, out of all you posted so far on this thread, was he one that got me literally staring at the screen in amazement. That posture with that stone faced look is incredible to me.

It in a way made me think of this image of "tank man" from 1989. Also a very powerful image.

Tank man. digital image. The New York Times. Jun. 3, 2009, Behind the Scenes: Tank Man of Tiananmen
I had that association too :)

And also remembered this BLM protester, in Baton Rouge, I believe

Reactions: Akosikojak

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
As I am sure @The Man knows:
Russian opposition leader Aleksei Navalny has been hospitalized for a severe "allergic reaction."
Apparently Navalny ran into trouble with authorities after promoting the protests.
NPR: Aleksei Navalny Falls Ill in Police Custody

Seems Putin should focus on his own electoral finagling....
Yeah, that's a weird thing too. I read that another well known oppositioner, who had spent time in that same prison, in that very same cell as Navalny, shortly before, also developed same symptoms...

Navalny is apparently out of the hospital now and back in the prison, despite the advice of the doctors, who wanted to keep him longer under observation...