Police cadet quits after witnessing a homeless man beaten by officers

Oct 2013
Sweden
Police Cadet Quits Academy, Reports Cops After Witnessing Homeless Man Being Beaten By Officers | Alternet

Few details are known about what exactly transpired, and Police Chief Gorden Eden told KOAT that it is partly because he’s concerned for the safety of the cadet who reported the incident. Mayor Richard Berry says the fact that it was an employee shows there is a level of comfort and internal accountability within the department, as someone felt safe enough to come forward. However, the department is afraid for anyone to know the identity of the cadet – possibly implying that they do not even trust their own officers.

A few things stand out. Firstly, the police are becoming more and more like criminal gangs...when you have to protect a witness from POLICE, there is a problem. The chief shows its a bigger problem than he states by trying to show there are still a few good ones, which is evidenced by the fact that the cadet came forward at all....apparently this is a GOOD sign instead of an everyday normal status????? Shouldnt cops ALWAYS feel comfortable coming to report fellow officers abuses of the public? Shouldnt they POLICE themselves as well? DO they stop doing their job and allow fellow officers to ignore the law?

If its about loyalty to other police officers, its a gang and not a public servant organization anymore...they are a gang unto themselves who place their OWN wants and needs before anything else.

The second thing that stands out is that the police dept lost out on a decent cadet...at least he stood up for whats right and actually reported what he saw, but how many say nothing and just quit instead? Maybe thats a big part of why its hard to change as well....the corrupt ones have taken over and anyone who objects will be eaten alive, that would keep any potential GOOD candidates out.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
Good for him. Sad that he had to quit out of fear. When I first read the title, I thought he quit out of disgust.

Oct 2013
Sweden
Good for him. Sad that he had to quit out of fear. When I first read the title, I thought he quit out of disgust.
The fact that he DID come forward indicates to me that he feels more disgust than fear. If it was just fear, he could do what many have probably done...just quit and say nothing. He feels strongly enough that he did something about it even though it has increased risk to himself.

Of course I cant really say anything about how he feels...its just what I surmise based on the his actions reported so far.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
for the first time I feel hope this will get turned around to an extent. That they will eventually learn that with all the video out there and protests and national attention and such, they HAVE to get their shit together finally.

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Again...easy to see that a full degree course is needed......
What's interesting is most police forces, readily accept former military members without hesitation. They put them through a "modified" police training course because they feel they had a lot of training in the military. Coincidentally, we had an case of police brutality here in one of the small towns and the police chief came out and basically said, "we cant find enough qualified people to be law enforcement since too many younger people cant qualify to have a gun or are on too many medications to safely do the job." What does that say for our society?

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
What's interesting is most police forces, readily accept former military members without hesitation. They put them through a "modified" police training course because they feel they had a lot of training in the military. Coincidentally, we had an case of police brutality here in one of the small towns and the police chief came out and basically said, "we cant find enough qualified people to be law enforcement since too many younger people cant qualify to have a gun or are on too many medications to safely do the job." What does that say for our society?
uhh.. OmniCorp needs to get off their ass and invent RoboCop already?

[video=youtube;6tC_5mp3udE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tC_5mp3udE[/video]