Police Investigators Determined Officer Choked Eric Garner

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
It was a shitty modified rear naked choke.
Being trained improperly or utilizing some techniques can be as dangerous as anything. More so as seen by this incident.

I forget which fighter (maybe even Rogan) said that because Garner was a big guy, his neck was easy to choke. And that's true, in my training I've learned that the meatier the neck, the easier it is to sink it in. A professional or trained fighter would know that.

I think this cop took the "by any means necessary" approach to the situation which, if he was trained properly would be a big no no.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Eric Gardner died of a heart attack in the back of an ambulance. He wasn't choked to death. And he was grossly overweight contributing to the cardiac arrest.

So that will probably be part of the equation when the prosecutor considers pressing murder charges.

Yeah, let's not forget how he got into the back of that ambulance.

Furthermore, a choke hold cuts off blood flow.

What is the consequence of that?

Cardiac arrest.

ABC

Jul 2011
“Stay Down”
Eric Gardner died of a heart attack in the back of an ambulance. He wasn't choked to death. And he was grossly overweight contributing to the cardiac arrest.

So that will probably be part of the equation when the prosecutor considers pressing murder charges.

I agree, doesn't matter though, he chose to apply deadly force on an unhealthy person they knew for selling loosies, a 100 dollar fine.

There is a time and a place for such chokes, this wasn't one of them and the officer showed poor discretion.

Jul 2011
“Stay Down”

Cardiac arrest.

ABC

Eventual cardiac arrest due to the brain shutting down from a lack of oxygen, but you are talking minutes, not seconds.

Feb 2010
between Moon and NYC

Cardiac arrest.

ABC
If this evolves into a murder trial it should be interesting to watch.

Would expect a lot of racial tension to be injected.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Eventual cardiac arrest due to the brain shutting down from a lack of oxygen, but you are talking minutes, not seconds.
This is why fighters are cared for when they are choked out, immediately after tap/passing out.
Garner did not get this same care.
The choke was far too long IMO.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
If this evolves into a murder trial it should be interesting to watch.

Would expect a lot of racial tension to be injected.

At worst it would be involuntary. There is no way this cop intended to kill Garner.

I suspect you are right, most will form their own opinions. At this state of it, they are right to do so.

Dude was selling cigarettes.

Jul 2011
“Stay Down”
This is why fighters are cared for when they are choked out, immediately after tap/passing out.
Garner did not get this same care.
The choke was far too long IMO.

If you watch the video, you can see he's not being blood choked for most of the incident, air choked because the arm is across the tracheya, not his arm cutting off the blood as it's supposed to be, once on the ground he gets one side but the other side is still shitty. It was his poor health that killed him mostly....

but to me that doesn't change the culpability of the officer.