Police now use radar devices to ‘see’ inside homes, raising legal questions

Apr 2011
Under your skin
A radar system that can see inside houses has been secretly purchased by at least 50 law enforcement agencies across the country, USA Today reports.
The FBI and the U.S. Marshals Service are among the agencies using the high-tech device, with little notice, the paper said.
The equipment can detect whether someone is inside a building and where they are.
Use of the devices has raised privacy concerns — especially involving police being able to see inside a structure without first obtaining a search warrant.
Getty Images/iStockphoto/Getty Images/iStockphoto A new report discloses that police and law enforcement agencies are using a small radar device that can see through walls, raising serious privacy concerns.
In December, a federal appeals court in Denver seemed alarmed that officers had used the Range-R device to peer inside a home before arresting a man for violating parole, the paper reported.
"The government's warrantless use of such a powerful tool to search inside homes poses grave Fourth Amendment questions," the court said.

Police radar device can 'see' inside homes - NY Daily News

[video=youtube;qHNSq2AoRik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHNSq2AoRik[/video]

I would hope that the police would be required to obtain a warrant before using this device.

Apr 2012
East coast USA
Not sure the technology used but probably infrared heat signature. You could not see who or what sex but only that a human outline hotter than surroundings. So, if interested how many people are there, yes.
Other invasive technology bothers me more, like listening to my cell phone calls, of course if MJ is legalized country wide I am totally in the clear.

Jan 2012
Vacaville, CA
Apparently, it is not passive technology; it does not just read waves emanating from the house into public spaces; its sends radar waves into the house, so it is invasive.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Apparently, it is not passive technology; it does not just read waves emanating from the house into public spaces; its sends radar waves into the house, so it is invasive.
Still no tingling.

I saw a true crime show that seemed to suggest Australian police can hear convos inside a private home by use of a listening device. If true, that would be something that needs a warrant, IMO.

Apr 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I dunno, I think they should still need a warrant. Same thing when they use dogs to try and smell drugs and whatnot.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Weirdo
This tech was demonstrated on television on the science channel a few years ago.

Most likely it will be used when a warrant isn't needed, such as a child in danger, hostage situation, etc. It only shows shapes and movement, not very much detail.