Police Tactics Thread

Dec 2018
Florida
So I want to start a thread for the purposes of reviewing police tactics and training. The reason is because, as someone who has done extensive training and competed in martial arts, I always find it sad how many people are fully unaware of the difficulties of subduing someone. I’d like to contextualize certain moves or actions. And what the possible end results could be.

I will bring up an incident to discuss and review in my next post. If you have one that comes to mind, feel free to bring it up. The more video the better.

Dec 2018
Florida
First video:

Was this officer wrong? The man fractured his skull due to the incident. But keep in mind he was drinking and was (per the video) alleged to have gotten into a fight. What do you think?

It is important to remember that any time a fight transitions to the ground, someone can get seriously hurt by the ground. Gravity sucks.

Reactions: johnflesh
Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Query: why is a 911 call "black man with a gun" almost always result in lethal force by police, and "white man with a gun" presumed by police to be an exercise of second amendment rights?

Seems to me, most police need screening/training to eliminate potentially lethal racist bias.

Dec 2018
Florida
Query: why is a 911 call "black man with a gun" almost always result in lethal force by police, and "white man with a gun" presumed by police to be an exercise of second amendment rights?

Seems to me, most police need screening/training to eliminate potentially lethal racist bias.
And you have evidence to back this up? How about a case by case basis of how each person reacts to man with a gun?

Here is an example:

“Don’t fuckin move or I will shoot you in the back.”

Legal carrier too.

Or this guy:

You know this isn’t in the race section.

Reactions: Sparta and The Man
Dec 2018
Florida

I’m also curious how you feel about the incident in post 2.

Jun 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
And you have evidence to back this up? How about a case by case basis of how each person reacts to man with a gun?

Here is an example:

“Don’t fuckin move or I will shoot you in the back.”

Legal carrier too.

Or this guy:

You know this isn’t in the race section.
Yes. After the murder of Tamir Rice, we had a few incidents involving replica guns and teenaged boys, which ended with the cops driving the kids home.

Everyone, including local police, admitted it was because they were white.

Dec 2018
Florida
Sorry. I don't feel qualified to speak on it.
Really? But you seem to think you are qualified to discuss shooting incidents in a man with gun scenario? So are you a trained combat shooter? Maybe a cop? Been doing a lot of shooting and self defense training yourself?

Come on now. I posted this up for discussion purposes. You don’t have to be uniquely trained to discuss. I’d be happy to hear your view and discuss.

Apr 2015
Mid ATL
Yes. After the murder of Tamir Rice, we had a few incidents involving replica guns and teenaged boys, which ended with the cops driving the kids home.

You are wrong, and a simple search would have told you that distinctly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/in-two-years-police-killed-86-people-brandishing-guns-that-look-real--but-arent/2016/12/18/ec005c3a-b025-11e6-be1c-8cec35b1ad25_story.html?utm_term=.7f444425ed3a

Police across the country say that they are increasingly facing off against people with ultra-real-looking pellet guns, toy weapons and non-functioning replicas.
Such encounters have led police to shoot and kill at least 86 people over the past two years, according to a Washington Post database of fatal police shootings nationwide. So far this year, police have fatally shot 43 people wielding the guns. In 2015, police also killed 43.

The Post analysis is the first accounting of fatal police shootings involving people armed with air guns, toys or replicas, a phenomenon last studied in depth more than 25 years ago, when Congress first sought to address the problem of police shootings involving toy guns. The 86 shooting deaths are among the nearly 2,000 people shot and killed by police since 2015, which The Post is tracking, something no government agency does.

Police recovered a wide variety of the weapons in the fatal shootings, but almost all had one thing in common: They were highly realistic copies of firearms. Of those, 53 were pneumatic BB or pellet guns that fire small-caliber metal balls or pellets. An additional 16 were Airsoft guns, which use compressed air cartridges to fire plastic BBs. Thirteen were replicas, two were toys, one was a starter pistol and one was a lighter.

Experts who study the domestic market for pellet and Airsoft guns said consumer demand for replica firearms has grown.
“They are red hot,” said Tom Gaylord, an industry consultant who runs a popular blog for the Ohio-based Pyramyd Air, one of the largest air gun retailers in the country. Pyramyd Air declined to comment.
Police say it is virtually impossible to train officers to identify imitation firearms from any distance. Short of eliminating the guns, police have little choice but to assume the guns are lethal.
Efforts to stop production of the guns or radically alter their appearance have mostly failed because of resistance from gunmakers and gun rights groups, such as the National Rifle Association.

Of the 86 fatal shootings involving imitation firearms since 2015, the most common theme was mental illness: 38 of those killed had a history of it, according to their families and police reports. Fourteen of the calls were domestic disturbances. Ten others began as robberies. The remaining circumstances range from patrolling neighborhoods to serving arrest warrants to making traffic stops.

Of the people killed, 50 were white men. The oldest person killed was Robert Patrick Quinn, 77, who was fatally shot in Pittston, Pa., as he rode his motorized scooter outside an apartment complex while waving a realistic-looking pellet gun.

Half of the shootings happened at night. In almost every case, police said the victims failed to comply with an officer’s orders. In 60 cases, police said they pointed guns at officers.

Dec 2018
Florida

And I’m sure you have evidence to support this. Not just subjective claims.