Police Vehicle Stops

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
Federal Agents are trained to perform felony vehicle stops by never approaching the suspect's car on foot.
Approaching any car is one of the most dangerous thing any cop can do....so why not change the training for such stops to increase the safety of both the officers and the public?

Some tactics of a federal vehicle stop should be incorporated by locals...imo.

[video=youtube;3ALU306DrOE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ALU306DrOE[/video]

Obviously a broken taillight stop should not be this dramatic but having the occupants of the stopped car come back to the police car could still help diffuse a dangerous situation.

Last edited:

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
They weren't pulled over for a taillight.
Felony vehicle stops are performed when we know the occupants are potentially dangerous and are designed for maximum safety.
Obviously normal police stops will be different.....but I still see no need for police to blindly walk up to a car when they could have the occupants walk back to their car much more safely.
Just my opinion.

Dec 2006
required field
but I still see no need for police to blindly walk up to a car when they could have the occupants walk back to their car much more safely.
Just my opinion.
Public safety. If a cop is killed on the highway walking up to a car, there's a funeral, a lot of crying, and a pension for their families.

If a civilian is killed on the highway walking back to the cop car, there's a funeral, a lot of crying, and a multimillion dollar payout to the families for the liability assumed in ordering someone from the safety of their vehicle, which is unquestionably the safest place to be if you're stopped alongside the highway.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
Public safety. If a cop is killed on the highway walking up to a car, there's a funeral, a lot of crying, and a pension for their families.

If a civilian is killed on the highway walking back to the cop car, there's a funeral, a lot of crying, and a multimillion dollar payout to the families for the liability assumed in ordering someone from the safety of their vehicle, which is unquestionably the safest place to be if you're stopped alongside the highway.
Fair argument but cops can be trained to only pull people over where they can pull way off the road into a safe area before they stop.

Vehicle stops will always be dangerous both to cops and occupants but there are ways of reducing the risk to both.

Last edited:
Dec 2006
required field
Fair argument but cops cane be trained to only pull people over where they can pull way off the road into a safe area before they stop.

Vehicle stops will always be dangerous both to cops and occupants but there are ways of reducing the risk to both.
That's how my ex husband got a gun pulled on him once, because he waited to pull over until there was somewhere safe. The cop only saw an Indian trying to flee.

He was a first grade teacher at the time, and he's still one of the gayest and most harmless people I know.

And he still gets harassed by cops because he has dark skin. I've witnessed it personally on multiple occasions. Once a pair of cops started harassing him, asking if he had a warrant out for him, etc. The senior officer was training the rookie. He said so.

Then they questioned him for thirty minutes while I stood by and watched.

And I had a warrant for my arrest at the time. But they focused entirely on him while I stood five feet away with a warrant for my own arrest. I was totally pissing myself. When it was all over and they let us go, that's when I got pissed at the blatant racial profiling.

That was a fucked up day. But just one of many. He's had a gun pulled on him by cops more than anyone else I personally know.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
Another thing is phony vehicle stops by perverts of women alone at night in lonely areas.
Anyone can get ahold of a blue light and siren an pose as the cops.
Women should not stop their car until they reach a well-lit/ occupied area, gas station, etc.....before puling over for any alleged LEO.

(pull over to the right and drive slowly with your blinker on and wait for a safe area. No real cop is going to shoot you in a moving car for failing to stop)

Edit: Also call 911

Last edited:
Dec 2006
required field
Another thing is phony vehicle stops by perverts of women alone at night in lonely areas.
Anyone can get ahold of a blue light and siren an pose as the cops.
Women should not stop their car until they reach a well-lit/ occupied area, gas station, etc.....before puling over for any alleged LEO.

(pull over to the right and drive slowly with your blinker on and wait for a safe area. No real cop is going to shoot you in a moving car for failing to stop)
In Washington state that's the rule. And cop cars must be clearly marked as such to make any kind of traffic stop.

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
In Washington state that's the rule. And cop cars must be clearly marked as such to make any kind of traffic stop.
Sounds impossible to me. How do detectives in unmarked cars make arrests in urgency situations?
Most federal agencies use unmarked cars as well. (state law can't stop feds from making arrests from unmarked cars)

Edit: Another thing I forgot to mention is that......in this day of cell phones....people should call 911 if they suspect a phony cop is trying to stop you)

Last edited: