Political correctness

Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
I appreciate your input. Do you think words like snowflake and cult should be sanctioned?
I'd like for AOC to be banned from discussion. I've heard enough about that chick to last a lifetime (if anyone's asking for my wishes....)
I don’t like to ban all these words. It’s been ridiculous and you can’t say anything here. Call me a cultist or whatever. I’ve been banned for saying several words. Things are too sensitive around here in my opinion

Feb 2010
Sunny Bournemouth, Dorset
All too true.

"...Framing free speech and political correctness as opposing forces is a false dichotomy intended to derail uncomfortable but necessary conversations, a smokescreen ginned up by the ethically lazy. The fact is, political correctness doesn’t hinder free speech – it expands it. But for marginalised groups, rather than the status quo...."

‘Political correctness’ doesn’t hinder free speech – it expands it | Lindy West

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
How, exactly, have Colon Kaeperdick or, The Dixie Chunks, been "regulated" by anyone?

Sorry, Ian, but, I am not going to apologize for being a patriot.
You aren't a patriot by your words. In America, you just have to love your country. Even if that means tough love by disagreeing with your party or your president.

All the Dixie Chicks did was to say that they were ashamed of their president, but when Ted Nugent freaks the fuck out over Obama and calls him a Kenyan, he gets made spokesman for the NRA.

May 2019
A Van Down by the River...
I don’t like to ban all these words. It’s been ridiculous and you can’t say anything here. Call me a cultist or whatever. I’ve been banned for saying several words. Things are too sensitive around here in my opinion
I'm with you. It's kinda like treating adults like toddlers with "no no" words. By now I think most of know where the line is drawn in a civilized society. I haven't seen the terrible words that shouldn't be uttered out loud. And maybe that's the problem. Without seeing how ugly speech can be we overreach? Dunno. I'm here to tell ya Rip, you can call me a snowflake or a douche whenever or next time we rumble. I'll survive.
But we can still be secret pals otherwise, 'k?

Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
I'm with you. It's kinda like treating adults like toddlers with "no no" words. By now I think most of know where the line is drawn in a civilized society. I haven't seen the terrible words that shouldn't be uttered out loud. And maybe that's the problem. Without seeing how ugly speech can be we overreach? Dunno. I'm here to tell ya Rip, you can call me a snowflake or a douche whenever or next time we rumble. I'll survive.
But we can still be secret pals otherwise, 'k?
I just told my wife and daughter that women can't drive. My wife told her to hit me. That's how it's supposed to be.

Yeah we're pals.

Dec 2018
the Heart of America
Agreed. It's the market system, kinda. Except here. Things are deemed "bad" for God knows what reason (or, b/c @Rev. Hellh0und caused it).

Take snowflake, which is supposed to be directed at my kind, the mushy left. Well, honestly I don't think I was ever called that directly, but dang if I wasn't called worse! What I mean to say is I can't be "protected" from insults. There's always a backdoor, right? So why keep chasing down certain words? Snowflake is a silly term anyway, never thought it was a good insult because it's so flimsy and hardly witty. Who was hurt from being called a snowflake?

Now cult member, sure, that connotes many bad things. Except stop acting like a cult member and the term won't apply is what I have to say about that.
Still comes down to my support for the rights of private businesses. Don't like the comments of Chik-Fil-A's founder? Don't eat there.

That said, when it comes to government, that's a different matter since Constitutional rights come into play.

May 2019
A Van Down by the River...
All too true.

"...Framing free speech and political correctness as opposing forces is a false dichotomy intended to derail uncomfortable but necessary conversations, a smokescreen ginned up by the ethically lazy. The fact is, political correctness doesn’t hinder free speech – it expands it. But for marginalised groups, rather than the status quo...."

‘Political correctness’ doesn’t hinder free speech – it expands it | Lindy West
Yeah, I still don't buy it. I get that there still has to be evolution but it need not be so militant. I think the pendulum swung too far to the point the "cause" lost folks like ...me. "MicroAgressions" ???? Give me a break. To that I say "grow a pair."