Political, legal fights over school vouchers' fate

Nov 2008
Washington state
Louisiana Governor's School Voucher Plan Clears Legislature

BATON ROUGE, La., April 5, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Louisiana will be home to one of the nation's largest school voucher programs once Gov. Bobby Jindal signs legislation that recently passed his state's legislature. Today, by a vote of 60-42, the Louisiana House of Representatives approved Gov. Jindal's voucher expansion, which passed the Senate last night 24-15.
"This is a momentous day for the families of Louisiana," State Superintendent of Education John White said. "All students deserve a fair chance in life, and that begins with the opportunity to attend a high-quality school. These policy changes are aligned with that central belief, and Gov. Jindal and state lawmakers have demonstrated a clear commitment to prioritize the educational rights of Louisiana's next generation above all else."
The expansion of the Student Scholarships for Educational Excellence Program will allow low- and middle-income students in Louisiana public schools graded "C," "D," or "F" by the state accountability system to receive government-funded vouchers to attend private schools. Currently, that option is available only to children in New Orleans and students with special needs in eligible parishes.
Last month, a poll commissioned by the Friedman Foundation for Educational Choice, an organization supportive of school vouchers, found that 60 percent of Louisiana voters surveyed were in favor of Gov. Jindal's plan to provide vouchers to more families statewide.
"In passing this measure, lawmakers listened to their constituents who are demanding high-quality education options for Louisiana families," Robert Enlow, president and CEO of the Friedman Foundation, said. Enlow's organization was founded by Nobel laureate Milton Friedman, who first developed the idea of school vouchers. "This measure puts control of kids' educations where it belongs--in the hands of their parents. We applaud Gov. Jindal, Superintendent White, and the legislative leaders who are making Louisiana a lead state in putting students first."
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CEwQFjAB&url=http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/louisiana-governors-school-voucher-plan-clears-legislature-146298805.html&ei=zgSCT-n8KYabiAKV8NC4Aw&usg=AFQjCNFZaYRK89tQapcXZ2zDTSV4hD4xVg&sig2=iUvXk2Wu2HvKHboy18iT9A

Finally there is a state that passed a bill allowing parents with kids to use vouchers for private schools if they have a learning disability and middle or low income. I think its a good bill and would like to see more states take on this issue. People pay their tax dollars toward schools thru their property taxes and should have a choice what to do with those dollars. You think this is a good bill and if not why?

Last edited:
Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
Why not a voucher that allows any student to attend any school accredited by the state for which they qualify?
Why not allow schools to set standards for students and only admit those who are serious about learning?

Seems like a win-win to me.

I wonder if those vouchers actually pay the cost of private school tuition? The only plan promoted here in California would have paid only half.

Czernobog

Former Staff
Dec 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Why not a voucher that allows any student to attend any school accredited by the state for which they qualify?
Why not allow schools to set standards for students and only admit those who are serious about learning?

I wonder if those vouchers actually pay the cost of private school tuition? The only plan promoted here in California would have paid only half.
Actually, Ditto, is the reason not to do that, is that given a choice between a public school - even a good one, and a private school, who wouldn't choose the private school. The goal of the voucher isn't to "let kids go to a better school". It's actually meant as an incentive for below standard public schools to "get their shit straight". You see, schools receive their state, and federal funding based on the size of their student bodies. No school wants to lose their funding. So, if faced with losing kids, these schools will, in theory, start spending their budgets more wisely, and will hire better classes of teachers, update their materials, and get themselves out of the holes they are in.

Reactions: aboutenough
Sep 2009
I think moving to some sort of private education system, but with governmental aid for those unable to afford it may be the next step. Public education in the United States is becoming a joke, and we're being surpassed. By allowing states to form their own school systems rather than trying to consolidate it all under a national system, it will open up each state as a laboratory for good policy. However, the first priority must always be education.

Jan 2008
Vertiform City
Fucking brilliant. :mad:

This is just about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The government can't handle the C and D students so we're going to have to pay them to attend private schools?

Yeah, really, those are really the people we want in our private schools, by government mandate. Right? The worst of the worst, the low-bottom under-achievers.

I mean, I hate to ask, but is this some kinda crazy GOP thing or something?

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
Actually, Ditto, is the reason not to do that, is that given a choice between a public school - even a good one, and a private school, who wouldn't choose the private school. The goal of the voucher isn't to "let kids go to a better school". It's actually meant as an incentive for below standard public schools to "get their shit straight". You see, schools receive their state, and federal funding based on the size of their student bodies. No school wants to lose their funding. So, if faced with losing kids, these schools will, in theory, start spending their budgets more wisely, and will hire better classes of teachers, update their materials, and get themselves out of the holes they are in.
There are good and bad public and private schools. If parents could choose any school, but the students had to meet the standards of that school, then the schools with the highest standards would attract the best students. If what qualified a student to attend a superior school were not the house the parents lived in, not the tuition that they can afford, but achievement, then every student could qualify for a superior school. It would be a matter of personal choice and ambition.

Jul 2011
Memphis, Tn.

BATON ROUGE, La., April 5, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Louisiana will be home to one of the nation's largest school voucher programs once Gov. Bobby Jindal signs legislation that recently passed his state's legislature. Today, by a vote of 60-42, the Louisiana House of Representatives approved Gov. Jindal's voucher expansion, which passed the Senate last night 24-15.
"This is a momentous day for the families of Louisiana," State Superintendent of Education John White said. "All students deserve a fair chance in life, and that begins with the opportunity to attend a high-quality school. These policy changes are aligned with that central belief, and Gov. Jindal and state lawmakers have demonstrated a clear commitment to prioritize the educational rights of Louisiana's next generation above all else."
The expansion of the Student Scholarships for Educational Excellence Program will allow low- and middle-income students in Louisiana public schools graded "C," "D," or "F" by the state accountability system to receive government-funded vouchers to attend private schools. Currently, that option is available only to children in New Orleans and students with special needs in eligible parishes.
Last month, a poll commissioned by the Friedman Foundation for Educational Choice, an organization supportive of school vouchers, found that 60 percent of Louisiana voters surveyed were in favor of Gov. Jindal's plan to provide vouchers to more families statewide.
"In passing this measure, lawmakers listened to their constituents who are demanding high-quality education options for Louisiana families," Robert Enlow, president and CEO of the Friedman Foundation, said. Enlow's organization was founded by Nobel laureate Milton Friedman, who first developed the idea of school vouchers. "This measure puts control of kids' educations where it belongs--in the hands of their parents. We applaud Gov. Jindal, Superintendent White, and the legislative leaders who are making Louisiana a lead state in putting students first."
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CEwQFjAB&url=http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/louisiana-governors-school-voucher-plan-clears-legislature-146298805.html&ei=zgSCT-n8KYabiAKV8NC4Aw&usg=AFQjCNFZaYRK89tQapcXZ2zDTSV4hD4xVg&sig2=iUvXk2Wu2HvKHboy18iT9A

Finally there is a state that passed a bill allowing parents with kids to use vouchers for private schools if they have a learning disability and middle or low income. I think its a good bill and would like to see more states take on this issue. People pay their tax dollars toward schools thru their property taxes and should have a choice what to do with those dollars. You think this is a good bill and if not why?
Why not simply expend the effort and money to improve the sub-standard public schools? The money for the viouchers is coming from the tax-payer is it not?

Nov 2008
Washington state

I like your idea as well , but this law just covers students with a lower grade average and middle and low income families. In my state of Washington we have wanted something like this for a long time, but the public school system is run by the state and they want to keep the state schools going, so far no progress on this issue. This would go along ways at making public schools shape up or ship out.

Jan 2008
Vertiform City
I like your idea as well , but this law just covers students with a lower grade average and middle and low income families. In my state of Washington we have wanted something like this for a long time, but the public school system is run by the state and they want to keep the state schools going, so far no progress on this issue. This would go along ways at making public schools shape up or ship out.
No! It would do exactly the opposite!

Follow my logic here - if all the C and D students leave the public schools, that means only the A and B students are left, therefore the public schools improve (on paper), and I'll betcha because of that they'll even find a way to get more money from our idiot government.

This is not the way to force the public schools to shape up!

Nov 2008
Washington state
Fucking brilliant. :mad:

This is just about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The government can't handle the C and D students so we're going to have to pay them to attend private schools?

Yeah, really, those are really the people we want in our private schools, by government mandate. Right? The worst of the worst, the low-bottom under-achievers.

I mean, I hate to ask, but is this some kinda crazy GOP thing or something?
Follow me here Nonsqtr. This is a voucher that represents the taxes that a person pays to the state thru their property taxes, so its their money. Its just been redirected from the public school to a privated school. I don't see the amount they pay in this article, but pretty sure its a subsidy payment.
I will tell you the story of my son that was doing horible in middle school and was sent to a special needs school within the public system. He still was surrounded by low life scum type kids and was going no where. We decided to pull him out and put him in a private school he attended four years. He went from below average to a 3.93 average at graduation. There are some kids that don't do well in the public system and need options. Its possible to turn a failing or poor student around in the right schools

Reactions: nonsqtr