Politician invokes Jesus 13 times, asks God for forgiveness before swearing in of Muslim legislator

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Pennsylvania State Rep. Stephanie Borowicz (R) asked God to forgive Americans for forgetting him and invoked Jesus Christ’s name 13 times during an opening invocation performed before the legislature swore in its first Muslim woman.

“I claim all these things in the powerful, mighty name of Jesus, the one who, at the name of Jesus, every knee will bow, and every tongue will confess, Jesus, that you are Lord, in Jesus’ name,” declared Borowicz, before interrupting her own litany to praise Donald Trump for his support of Israel.

At one point, at least one member could be heard angrily voicing objections before Speaker Mike Turzai, a fellow Republican, was forced to nudge Borowicz’s elbow and prompt her to end the invocation. Rep. Movita Johnson-Harrell (D), who was sworn in following Borowicz’s address, told the Pennsylvania Capital-Star on Monday that the evangelical Republican was clearly trying to draw attention to Johnson-Harrell’s Muslim faith
Politician invokes Jesus 13 times, asks God for forgiveness before swearing in of Muslim legislator

what's a religious nutjob bigot, Alex ? She wants forgiveness for swearing in a Muslim legislator but she supports Trump? Remind you of anything?

God Bless America.

Last edited:

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
Free speech is offensive. That's why we have a first amendment.
so you agree she's being offensive. Cool. What about violating her oath of office? She's refusing the accept the election of one of her respective legislators. How is that a manner of "free speech"? You're trying to defend her based on the very founding document she's violating?

Mar 2019
mine field
so you agree she's being offensive. Cool. What about violating her oath of office? She's refusing the accept the election of one of her respective legislators. How is that a manner of "free speech"? You're trying to defend her based on the very founding document she's violating?
She was being offensive to the Muslim. That I do agree with. Does she have that right? She isn't refusing to accept the election. She made an opinion about it. She has the right to be in the opposition. Somehow I think you wouldn't be defending the Christian as much as you are defending the Muslim if things were turned around. Muslims and Democrats are going to have to learn that the American people have the right to criticize everyone, including muslims.

Last edited:

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
She was being offensive to the Muslim. That I do agree with. Does she have that right? She isn't refusing to accept the election. She made an opinion about it. She has the right to be in the opposition. Somehow I think you wouldn't be defending the Christian as much as you are defending the Muslim if things were turned around. Muslims and Democrats are going to have to learn that the American people have the right to criticize everyone, including muslims.
well, I don't really have a dog in the fight. I'm neither Muslim nor Christian per se. Not that it's any of your business. But, I lean towards Buddhist teachings. Your comment is otherwise just plan ignorant. We're a very diverse country. Not just Christians. So, why are you conflating being a Christian with being an American? Muslims are American's too. Oh and btw..... You don't speak for "the American people".

Mar 2019
mine field
well, I don't really have a dog in the fight. I'm neither Muslim nor Christian per se. Not that it's any of your business. But, I lean towards Buddhist teachings. Your comment is otherwise just plan ignorant. We're a very diverse country. Not just Christians. So, why are you conflating being a Christian with being an American? Muslims are American's too. Oh and btw..... You don't speak for "the American people".
I never said the Muslim wasn't an American. Read my post again and think about each sentence when you read it. I also never said I speak for the American people. The entire post is only my opinion and I stand by it.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
I never said the Muslim wasn't an American. Read my post again and think about each sentence when you read it. I also never said I speak for the American people. The entire post is only my opinion and I stand by it.
and I stand by mine. Maybe you should take your own advice. What I actually said was you "conflated" being an American with being a Christian. You'll find what happens when you're in a discussion with someone that they might paraphrase your comments and/or interpret them. That is communication 101. That provides you with an opportunity to clarify your remarks. Of course, when they are so ignorant they just don't make sense.... Whatcha gonna do?