Poll: Americans split on scope of government

Jul 2011
I don't pay much attention to polls...mainly because I think the results are too dependent on the fluid, changing views of the people who are polled. These views are influenced by the media to such a degree that the polls can say one thing today and something much different next week.

But I know that some of you place much stock in polls. For that reason, I submit the following article for your review:

A majority of Americans believe that the federal government has “too much power,” a new Gallup poll shows.

Most Americans, 57 percent, say that the federal government has too much power, while only 8 percent of Americans say that the federal government doesn’t have enough power. Thirty-five percent say that the federal government has about the right amount of power.

A majority of respondents said they could handle the changes that would result from a smaller, more limited federal government — 56 percent said that they would be willing to trade fewer government services for reduced taxes, up from 40 percent who said the same thing in 1993. Only 26 percent said that they were satisfied with the current level of services and taxes, down from 35 percent in 1993.

The poll also shows that the percentage of Americans who believe that there is too much government regulation over business has jumped sharply in recent years, from 36 percent in 2006 to 50 percent today.

read more at: Poll: Americans split on scope of government - Tim Mak - POLITICO.com

So. For those of you who think polls are important, I have a couple of questions:

1. Where do you stand on the questions asked in this poll?

2. Do you think the results of this poll will have an effect on the upcoming election? Why...or why not.

Jets

Feb 2011
New York
For starters. Good Post.

The national government has grown too much in size picking up way too many responsibilities. The result being an expansion of the bureaucracy to levels that appear infinite. As a result of the debt these criticisms become maginified. What needs to be done is examine which areas are better served by the states and assign what is deemed appropriate. As an example the Dept of Ed should be dissolved leaving the states in charge of education.

I believe the election could be affected if the nations debt is not dealt with. Imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Granite
Nov 2009
Flower Mound, TX (In the basement)
If the election were held NOW, I would say this attitude would hold sway, but the election is NOT now, so.....who knows?

In my opinion and only my opinion, the federal government is to big and way too powerful. It needs to be cut.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
I don't pay much attention to polls...mainly because I think the results are too dependent on the fluid, changing views of the people who are polled. These views are influenced by the media to such a degree that the polls can say one thing today and something much different next week.

But I know that some of you place much stock in polls. For that reason, I submit the following article for your review:

So. For those of you who think polls are important, I have a couple of questions:

1. Where do you stand on the questions asked in this poll?

2. Do you think the results of this poll will have an effect on the upcoming election? Why...or why not.
My opinion... I think lower taxes, smaller government, less regulation (That was strictly enforced though)... could work. I just don't believe the GOP would deliever any of that. For now, I think the government has grown as it needed to considering the various circumstances, so its probably close to what it needs to be for now. I would personally be fine with paying less taxes and getting less services, but that would certainly suck for people that pay no taxes... I am not sure if we're better off eliminating things like for example trash collection, and ending up like Naples, Italy, with trashed piled up 3 stories high in the city. I think you have to strike the right balance, because regardless of how fair it is, we all have to live together.

Will it impact the election? I doubt it. As much as people talk about cutting services, I think most people start to waiver on that when it comes to services that they actually use. Also, I don't see this issue being a strong point for any of the Republicans, except Ron Paul, and even if he wins the nomination, the GOP will be so divided by him. Also, I think "size of government" as an issue, will make much less of an impact than issues like jobs, economy, and war.