Poll: Church membership in US plummets over past 20 years

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
Anecdotally I was sure this was happening, but this is the first hard data to back it up. And the rate of change is surprisingly high.

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- As Christian and Jewish Americans prepare to celebrate Easter and Passover, respectively, Gallup finds the percentage of Americans who report belonging to a church, synagogue or mosque at an all-time low, averaging 50% in 2018.

U.S. church membership was 70% or higher from 1937 through 1976, falling modestly to an average of 68% in the 1970s through the 1990s. The past 20 years have seen an acceleration in the drop-off, with a 20-percentage-point decline since 1999 and more than half of that change occurring since the start of the current decade.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/248837/church-membership-down-sharply-past-two-decades.aspx

Jun 2014
United States
I could show you dozens of abandoned protestant church buildings within a 20 mile radius of my home. We have 3 Catholic churches in the area, and they are all now served by a single Priest who rotates between them each week to perform Mass. The nearest Jewish synagogue to me is about 40 miles away. I don't know how attendance is there. I've only been there once, and that was decades ago.

May 2012
By the wall
It probably has to do with the availability of the internet.

The last time I checked there was no significant drop off in the amount of people self-identifying as Christian so it's not that there are less Christians now.

Something is just keeping them from hanging out in a church.

Maybe they fear being shot to death by a liberal terrorist.

Oct 2011
Washington State

The last time I checked there was no significant drop off in the amount of people self-identifying as Christian so it's not that there are less Christians now.

You keep shooting yourself in the foot.

Majority of 2017 extremist murders in US were committed by right-wingers: Report

The Terrorism That Doesn’t Spark a Panic

Oct 2011
Washington State
Anecdotally I was sure this was happening, but this is the first hard data to back it up. And the rate of change is surprisingly high.

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- As Christian and Jewish Americans prepare to celebrate Easter and Passover, respectively, Gallup finds the percentage of Americans who report belonging to a church, synagogue or mosque at an all-time low, averaging 50% in 2018.

U.S. church membership was 70% or higher from 1937 through 1976, falling modestly to an average of 68% in the 1970s through the 1990s. The past 20 years have seen an acceleration in the drop-off, with a 20-percentage-point decline since 1999 and more than half of that change occurring since the start of the current decade.

U.S. Church Membership Down Sharply in Past Two Decades
So much Christian Winning! It will keep dropping too. I was raised Catholic but common sense has prevailed. Religion is a hoax. The biggest scam perpetrated on mankind.

Mar 2019
TN

Dylann Roof WASN'T a fucking liberal. Neither was Devin Kelley. It's the CONSERVATIVES shooting up our churches !!!

Jun 2014
United States

Self-identifying as Christian in no way renders one a Christian. I could self-identify as a Martian if I really wanted to.

Apr 2012
Englewood,Ohio
I could show you dozens of abandoned protestant church buildings within a 20 mile radius of my home. We have 3 Catholic churches in the area, and they are all now served by a single Priest who rotates between them each week to perform Mass. The nearest Jewish synagogue to me is about 40 miles away. I don't know how attendance is there. I've only been there once, and that was decades ago.
And many more are on the brink. The young are staying away in droves and I am barely hanging on. I did not go his morning.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
Colorado
The decline in church membership is consistent with larger societal trends in declining church attendance and an increasing proportion of Americans with no religious preference.
This makes sense. I'm not getting that people are less religious, just attending church less. FYI.
There is so many functional churches in my city you can visit a different one each week.

The only thing that I don't like about this trend is churches represent a coming together, networking and friendly meetup. It isn't just for worship.